Sony str-dn1040 auto cal problem

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I try auto calibrate my speakers it doesn't work properly. It always comes up with the same error message every time saying Warning 40 the measurement has been completed but the noise level is high, calibrate in as quiet a place as possible therefore I don't know if the calibration works as intended with the eq. I've tried it 6 times 6ft and 12 ft away from speakers.

abacus

The microphone should be placed in your seating position, all appliances in the room (Fans etc.) turned off and the Windows closed, in addition set the calibration going and quietly close the door as you leave, do not return until the calibration is completed.Hope this help Bill

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
abacus said:
The microphone should be placed in your seating position, all appliances in the room (Fans etc.) turned off and the Windows closed, in addition set the calibration going and quietly close the door as you leave, do not return until the calibration is completed. Hope this help Bill

all windows closed, no fans etc were on. nothing all at except tv and av receiver. the seating position was 6 ft away from speakers and i was 12 ft away from speakers (i kept absolutely quiet every time, didnt even breathe while test tones were running) so it's not me either.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
abacus said:
The microphone should be placed in your seating position, all appliances in the room (Fans etc.) turned off and the Windows closed, in addition set the calibration going and quietly close the door as you leave, do not return until the calibration is completed. Hope this help Bill

all windows closed, no fans etc were on. nothing all at except tv and av receiver. the seating position was 6 ft away from speakers and i was 12 ft away from speakers (i kept absolutely quiet every time, didnt even breathe while test tones were running) so it's not me either.

That might be your problem. You must leave the room. How long does the whole calibration take? 5? 10mins? When the amp send the test signal and you hold your breath, if you make noise when it's quiet (calculating) you still can't make any noise. The must be no noise for the whole calibration. From where your door is to your amp you should be able to set it going with the remote and get the door shut with you outside the room before the amp starts, as it turns itself up to 0 reference level.

Also have you told the amp it only have the front 3 channels. I know it should detect there are only 3 but go into the manual speaker settings and tell the amp what speakers it has connected then do the calibration.

Really you should try and be patient and wait till you have surrounds and a subwoofer. The amp just might be having an issue because it only has 3 speakers attached.

Oh and from another thread you started the Surrounds for 5.1 can go either beside you or behind you. They will work just as good both ways. Then if you ad 6 and 7 for 7.1 then they go behind you and 4 and 5 go either side of you os slightly behind.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
nugget2014 said:
abacus said:

That might be your problem. You must leave the room. How long does the whole calibration take? 5? 10mins? When the amp send the test signal and you hold your breath, if you make noise when it's quiet (calculating) you still can't make any noise. The must be no noise for the whole calibration. From where your door is to your amp you should be able to set it going with the remote and get the door shut with you outside the room before the amp starts, as it turns itself up to 0 reference level.

Also have you told the amp it only have the front 3 channels. I know it should detect there are only 3 but go into the manual speaker settings and tell the amp what speakers it has connected then do the calibration.

Really you should try and be patient and wait till you have surrounds and a subwoofer. The amp just might be having an issue because it only has 3 speakers attached.

Oh and from another thread you started the Surrounds for 5.1 can go either beside you or behind you. They will work just as good both ways. Then if you ad 6 and 7 for 7.1 then they go behind you and 4 and 5 go either side of you os slightly behind.

5-10 mins for auto calibration?! no chance. from start to finish it takes about 30 seconds. i press start it sends tones out then it comes up with the error message then that's it i pick the eq setting (i chose engineer) then its finished. yes i told the av i only have 3 speakers too :/

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
5-10 mins for auto calibration?! no chance. from start to finish it takes about 30 seconds. i press start it sends tones out then it comes up with the error message then that's it i pick the eq setting (i chose engineer) then its finished. yes i told the av i only have 3 speakers too :/

Well that's how long it should take. It's not working properly obviously. How are you mounting the mic?

Have you told who you bought the amp from that it's having this problem?

Do you enter the auto set up before connecting the mic and then setting auto cal going or do you connect the mic then it promts you to start it going?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
nugget2014 said:

Well that's how long it should take. It's not working properly obviously. How are you mounting the mic?

Have you told who you bought the amp from that it's having this problem?

Do you enter the auto set up before connecting the mic and then setting auto cal going or do you connect the mic then it promts you to start it going?

i put mic in once in menus then start auto cal. Hmm will try again later not in room

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Tried if again, same result even after leaving the room and going other side of flat! Still says the same thing. I tried putting the mic on the top of the back part of sofa too and still no luck! Have to wait till I get surrounds now and hope if works then.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
Tried if again, same result even after leaving the room and going other side of flat! Still says the same thing. I tried putting the mic on the top of the back part of sofa too and still no luck! Have to wait till I get surrounds now and hope if works then.

Ok shame it still didn't work. It sounds faulty then. I would get hold of Sony and ask them if anybody else has had the same issue with the amp. Take the mic to your deler and see if they have another amp either the same or a sony amp that will ccept the mic and try it in the shop. I could be the mic too. Try with and with out surrounds in the shop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts