Sony STR DH-820 picture black outs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi There,

This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone can help! I purchased a Sony STR DH820 for christmas and have been using it for the last couple of months. IT all works fine except that every so often the pictre blanks out for 5 or so seconds and then comes back again. This only happens with the signal from the sky box. It's not HD but as i understand it, the DH820 should happily take the analog signal and upscale it.

I get no such issues with my Media streamer which is HDMI or my Wii which isn't.

Any suggestions as to the cause? I thought it might be the upscaling software catching up or somehting but that doesn't really seem right.

Is it just broken :cry:

Hope someone can help!!

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Based on your description of the problem, the fault would seem to originate in the signal the Sky box is providing, as it doesn't happen with your other sources.

I suspect it happens when signal type or quality changes on the Sky service, and it's enough to cause the Sony's video processing to work for a moment or two to regain a clean signal output, which in turn causing your TV's onboard video processing to hiccup.

Might be worth trying another Sky box.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
My Sony DA5400es does this too - again only with Sky. Sometimes I have to turn either the Sky Box off and on again or the Sony amp. It just seems to lose the Sky signal - which as Andrew suggests, I suspect is to do with the upscaling of the Sky Box.

Its mildly irratating (happens mainly when changing Sky channels and not that often) but I wouldnt worry about your Sony amp being broken.

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I had something similar when i set my sky+HD to auto for the resolution, i've just set it to 720p which seems to have solved it and i can't really see any problems with the picture.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
NovemberNick said:
This only happens with the signal from the sky box. It's not HD but as i understand it, the DH820 should happily take the analog signal and upscale it.

Just to clarify, which Sky box do you have, and how are you connecting to the Sony (ie what kind of cable)? Only ask in light of the post above, but you said it's not HD and you are using an analogue connection - I still suspect it's when the aspect ratio or whatever changes in the broadcast signal, causing your Sony amp or TV to scrabble to get its act back together.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have a similar issue with my new Sony STR-DH820. However, mine blacks out for 3 - 5 seconds with the DVD player connected via the component video input interface. We only lose the picture, sound is not impacted.

No sky box, so it's not that and when viewing TV from the Humax freesat device or on-line streaming I have no issues. Thought it might be the DVD player so hooked it up directly to the TV and have no issues with loss of signal when connected directly to the TV via the component interface, so it's definately the Sony receiver, unless there's a setting that needs to be altered.

No HDMI on the DVD, so can't try that.

Any idea's?

Thanks, Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts