Sony STR-DG820 AV Receiver - Is it any good?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to buy a budget AV Receiver that will decode all the HD Audio etc and has lots of HDMI and optical inputs for Sky HD and PS3. I was dead set on this one but have just read a review that was less than flattering!

The review stated that there was an annoying humming/buzzing coming from all speakers when hooked up to this receiver!

Does anybody else have this receiver and WHF Team did you notice any of these problems during your tests?

A

Anonymous

dmroberts - i have this receiver and have not noticed this problem. I'm running a 5.1 Kef KHT1005 speaker setup at a variety of volumes (so as to not annoy the neighbors during my nocturnal blue ray marathons).

Did the review say if this was a permanent or intermittent problem? may have been fault with review model.

There may be better receivers out there but for the money it was the HD audio performance and the 4 HDMI inputs that swayed me - running ps3 for blu ray, 360 Elite (plus HD DVD drive), HDMI enabled Sony HDD DVD recorder and still have a spare input should i ever be able to afford to upgrade to Sky HD.

Had it for month or so any very happy with it for the £250 it cost me.

A

Anonymous

Read the other guys review here http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/product/B001EWE98C/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/276-8385886-9673322?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Can't believe that there would be problems with the receviver as it got five stars when reviewed. Just nice to hear from someone who owns one.

A

Anonymous

Might post my own review as i also bought mine from Amazon.

Could just be a subjective problem - once you notice a distracting sound it can be hard to ignore it (i once ditched a set of wireless headphones because of the hiss i couldn't ignore) - but all i can say is that it's not something i've noticed and mine is quite a small room so i'm sure if it was that much of a problem i'd have noticed it straight away. DD, DTS and LPCM etc performance have all been great.

As I mentioned before, the STRDG820 is ideal as a HDMI video switching unit as it lets you plug four HDMI equipped devices through a TV with just one input (my own fault for buying first gen LCD tv ages ago).

And by the way, AFAIK the Sky issue has been fixed in the latest versions of the receiver (presumably firware tweak by Sony).

A

Anonymous

That review does not sound genuine to me. Just something about the way it is written. Too many errors.

He claims he went into a shop to get a fix for Sky. I know most of the people that bought the original DG820 on another site got replacments. He is still marking the DG820 as having a problem with Sky, even though it is no longer an issue. He doent seem aware thats te problem existed in the original 2400es too.

DM, I would ignore that one review, and have a look on the another site thread for owners

Boo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts