Sony STR-DE375 AV Receiver / PS3 slim console

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HELLO THERE - COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME AND STATE WHETHER IT IS POSSIBLE TO CONNECT A SONY STR-DE375 RECEIVER TO A PS3 TO GIVE A BASIC 5.1 SURROUND SOUND USING ALL THE SPEAKERS TO THEIR EFFECT.THE SURROUND SPEAKERS ARE CONNECTED TO THE CONNECTIONS ON THE RECEIVER AT THIS TIME. THE RECEIVER IS PRE HDMI AND OPTICAL HENCE NONE OF THOSE CONNECTIONS BUT THE PS3 MANUAL STATES THAT IF THE AV OUTLET ON THE REAR OF THE PS3 IS CONNECTED TO THE RCA PLUGS ON THE REAR OF THE RECEIVER IT WILL ONLY GIVE A 2.1 OUTPUT. IF THIS IS CORRECT IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THIS? THANKS AGAIN. :?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the PS3 or the model of your receiver, but it should have Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic 2 or maybe DTS: NEO 6 modes. These modes are for creating a kind of pseudo surround, your receiver will take the 2 channel audio and apply processing to create 5.1. It works quite well. I do all my off air viewing in PL2 or NEO:6.

Does the PS3 not have an optical or coaxial digital output you could use instead?

EDIT: Just seen your bit about the receiver being pre optical.:doh: Does that also apply for co-ax? (if the PS3 has a co-ax output)

Failing that Megan, you might wanna start saving your pennies and buy a new(ish) receiver with HDMI inputs.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
meganmiles said:
THE PS3 MANUAL STATES THAT IF THE AV OUTLET ON THE REAR OF THE PS3 IS CONNECTED TO THE RCA PLUGS ON THE REAR OF THE RECEIVER IT WILL ONLY GIVE A 2.1 OUTPUT. IF THIS IS CORRECT IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THIS? THANKS AGAIN. :?

Bad news I'm afraid meganmiles, as you have already seen in the PS3 manual, the AV Outlet can only provide 2 channel analogue.

The only way to get surround sound from a PS3 is to use the optical or HDMI outputs. Time to start saving for a new receiver

A

Anonymous

THANK YOU BOTH - PERHAPS I WILL START EMPTYING THE COIN JAR VERY SOON - MUCH APPRECIATED.

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Does it have a digital coaxial input? If so you can get optical to coaxial converters, like this:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/19515961/Cable-Tex-Coax-Coaxial-To-Optical-ToS-SPDIF-ToSlink-Converter/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:19515961%7Cprd:19515961

Then just get the audio like that, with your PS3 plugged into your tv via HDMI (I assume you're running an HD TV)

You'll have to set the PS3 to output audio via optical rather than HDMI, or both and just must the TV. This is pretty easily done though.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I had a brief look online and your receiver manual does mention Dolby Pro-Logic. Try it out before smashing your piggy bank.:)

Oh yeah...... You've still got CAPS LOCK on.:shame: ;)

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I'm glad that you all know what you're talking about! Big Chris - unfortunately my receiver only has an FM antenna coaxial so I do think the converter would work would it?

I'll try it all tomorrow and update you all with what I find.

PS the suggestions so far are gratefully received, thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts