Sony STR-DA5400ES default audio stream on BD

cutter74

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
Is there a setting on the STR-DA5400ES which defines the default audio stream when playing BD discs? I've noticed that on BDs with multiple audio streams, the Sony always defaults to plain DD5.1 instead of DD Master Audio. Of course, if i switch the audio stream to Master Audio manually on the BD player, all is fine. If it helps, the BD player is the Sony BDP-S760. I've gone through the audio settings on both the receiver and the BD player but couldn't find a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately that's just the way some BD discs are authored - a lot of them seem to default to the Dolby Digital track instead of the HD soundtrack and you need to manually select it - there's no setting you can make to change this.

Fortunately, I've noticed now more and more recent titles are beginning to default to the HD soundtrack (especially those with DTS HD-MA tracks) so maybe the studios are getting the message we've been bleating about for a while now!

A

Anonymous

You say that the player always defaults to the non-HD Audio formats ? Have you got the BD Audio Output setting set to 'Direct' rather than 'Mix' (which is the default) on the S-760 ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's worth noting that while Linear PCM and the standard-def versions of Dolby Digital and DTS are mandatory on Blu-ray discs, to ensure the widest possible compatibility, both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD are not required, and are purely optional.

cutter74

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
professorhat:

Unfortunately that's just the way some BD
discs are authored - a lot of them seem to default to the Dolby Digital
track instead of the HD soundtrack and you need to manually select it -
there's no setting you can make to change this.

Thanks professorhat, I guess i can stop searching the receiver's settings now!

THE_FORCE:

You say that the player always defaults to
the non-HD Audio formats ? Have you got the BD Audio Output setting set
to 'Direct' rather than 'Mix' (which is the default) on the S-760 ?

Yeap, check.

I have to say though, that I'm surprised at how immature the BD technology in general is and how "rushed" the whole migration from DVD to BD seems to me. I find it inexcusable that BD loading times have to be longer than a few seconds, that audio streams default to the lowest common denominator instead of the highest, and to top it all, that the resume function is not supported by the majority of the BD disks. I would certainly like to meet the genius who thought that it's ok to have to start the disk from the beginning everytime you want to hit the stop button! By the way, does anyone know whether this is a disk authoring issue or something that can be addressed in the future by possible BD player firmware updates?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts