Sony STR-DA2400ES - Speaker package recommendations?

Dr Badger

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
Now that a few places seem to finally have stocks of the Sony STR-DA2400ES, I'm planning to treat myself, as from WHF magazine and forum comments this Sony amp seems to be a good compromise for home cinema and music for my budget (<£450).

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent packages? I have some Tannoy Mercury speakers that I've been using for YEARS with my trusty old Marantz PM44SE (yes, from the mid-90s!), but mixing-and-matching speakers won't do the Sony justice.

Am looking for fairly compact speakers, so one option is the KEF KHT1005.2 speaker package (£230). Any other suggestions for a low-to-midrange speaker package, please? (and of course I should audition before purchase!...). Budget - up to £400, but preferably nearer to £250.

A

Anonymous

I can't give you any tips on speaker packages, at least not at the price you're talking about (although I'm looking to get a kef 2005.3 set given the WHF gushing reviews), but I can tell you that play.com is selling the sony str-da2400 for £429. I only hope that by tipping you off you don't end up nicking the last one........

Dr Badger

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Gareth. The suppliers that I noticed had stocks a couple of days ago are/were play.com (£430) and Amazon (£450).

Over the past few months, the only places I'd found which claimed to have stocks were play (they used to only have the silver one - I prefer the black model) and my local Sony Centre in Reading, which has it priced up at £600, citing the weak Yen-Sterling exchange rate.

On this note, Andrew/Clare/WHF team - even in the latest issue (June '09), you mention the Sony 2400 being available for £400. I realise that you have mag. lead times, but this model has been hard to find since Christmas, if not before (I've tried Richer Sounds the past 4-5 months, but had no luck, even asking them to check for availability in other branches).

Gareth - Am seriously tempted to order one from Play now, but think it only fair to wait a while!(?)
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Fill your boots Doc! If they go, they go, and I promise not to hold it against you
emotion-4.gif
but you are an honorable man.

To be honest, I'm waiting to see if I get anymore replies to my earlier thread (asking for advice on whether to go for the Sony or pay the extra for the new Onkyo 607), otherwise I'll be ordering the Sony from Play and hoping that they've got one for each of us!

Cheers,

G

rzak

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I recently bought SONY STR-DA2400ES

Now I am seeking for speakers. I like monitor audio silver 6 (I will buy 2 for stereo only)

Do u think it is a good choice. They seem to me great.

I noticed it does not do upscaling for my Zon-box (similar to Sky TV in UK)

Dr Badger

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
rzak - Sorry, don't know. Reviews seem good, but hopefully someone will be able to give a proper answer.

Gareth... No worries... nice to be called "honourable"!... I've been called a LOT worse!
emotion-3.gif
Seriously, after quite some thought, I've been pushed over the edge by a small but nice winning bet in tonight's playoffs footie, and so have gone ahead and ordered from play - I do hope it wasn't their last one!

Might seem strange to order it without having auditioned or deciding upon speakers, but I'm sure I'll be fine... will use my Tannoys for stereo/fronts for now, and just be happy to not have to make do with my TV (Panny 42PZ85B plasma speakers - tho' not bad) for Sky, PS3/BluRay.

Cheers for the comments (I DO like this forum - lots of friendly helpful people!).

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
With your budget, I'd certainly consider building on your existing Tannoy Mercurys. ÿDitching them in favour of a new 5.1 package might lead to disappointment as the sound quality could be worse! ÿAlthough you say that they're 'old', your Mercurys might be compatible with the present Mercury range - matching the general sound signature of Tannoy speakers. ÿYou'd only have to buy 2 satellites, a centre and a sub. ÿPerhaps a friendly dealer would allow you to take in your speakers to see if this would work?

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
you looking at the monior audio rs6's there class. i went for the Br5's got them for £400 AND they are amazing so the rs6's i guess would blow them out the water

Dr Badger

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Sorreltiger - that's certainly another option, i.e. use my existing Tannoy Mercurys (which I still really like, for music) as the fronts, etc.

Alternatively, am beginning to think (having read other Sony 2400ES-related threads) that it'd be worth increasing my budget, and go for, e.g. the KEF 2005.3 package, which is ~£500. Plenty to think about...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts