Sony S760 - HDMI handshaking?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A very nice Blu-ray player. Unfortunately it's not possible to view via the HDMI connection to my Pioneer PDP-434 plasma screen. The HDMI option remains ghosted in the Sony's menu - Setup/Video Settings/Output Video Format. So I'm having to connect via Component, which is rather a compromise. It looks "alright" but could be so much better through HDMI.

HDMI works fine on my neighbour's Toshiba & Sony TV's, so this could be a HDMI handshaking problem with the Pioneer screen? I've sent Pioneer a query about this, but no response after 2 weeks. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this please, as I'm not looking to purchase a new screen just yet?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, it does sound like a handshaking problem. Have you tried turning off the player and TV, then turning on the TV first, selecting the HDMI input to which the player is connected, then turning on the player? This can sometimes resolve the problem.

Also make sure any HDMI control is turned off on both TV and player - the default setting is usually 'on'.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Have you tried turning off the player and TV, then turning on the TV first, selecting the HDMI input to which the player is connected, then turning on the player? This can sometimes resolve the problem.

Also make sure any HDMI control is turned off on both TV and player - the default setting is usually 'on'.
Hello Andrew, thanks for your reply with suggestions.
The blank screen flickers occasionally and puts up the "Input 3 - HDMI" message, and that's about it. Of course it's not possible to select HDMI for the output on the S760 as I can't see its menu's without having the HDMI input disabled on the screen and thereby the switch to Component connection.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Quenzer:Andrew Everard:Have you tried turning off the player and TV, then turning on the TV first, selecting the HDMI input to which the player is connected, then turning on the player? This can sometimes resolve the problem.

Hello Andrew, thanks for your reply with suggestions.
The blank screen flickers occasionally and puts up the "Input 3 - HDMI" message, and that's about it. Of course it's not possible to select HDMI for the output on the S760 as I can't see its menu's without having the HDMI input disabled on the screen and thereby the switch to Component connection.

I know you don't have the same screen as me, but we both have Pioneer's so I might be able to help, I plugged my new 760 into my Pioneer KRP-500a yesterday, switched to the input and, nothing, blank screen, zip, nadda, zilch.

I thought I might have the same issue as you, until I went into the options in the KRP menu and found that, by default, the HDMI sockets on my TV are DISABLED. Set HDMI 3 to ENABLED and it all works perfectly. Might be worth checking that out.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:I know you don't have the same screen as me, but we both have Pioneer's so I might be able to help, I plugged my new 760 into my Pioneer KRP-500a yesterday, switched to the input and, nothing, blank screen, zip, nadda, zilch.I thought I might have the same issue as you, until I went into the options in the KRP menu and found that, by default, the HDMI sockets on my TV are DISABLED. Set HDMI 3 to ENABLED and it all works perfectly. Might be worth checking that out
Thanks for the suggestions. But the HDMI input is definitely enabled on the screen.
The S760 is connected to the PDP-434 with both a Component lead AND a HDMI lead. If I enable the HDMI (input 3) - blank screen, if I disable the HDMI, I get a display via the Component connection. Frustrating!

A

Anonymous

I had a similar problem but connecting my Pioneer 500A to an XBOX360. After unplugging and plugging cables and turning both TV and console on and off several times it finally agreed to show the image. I also changed between HDMI inputs. Have you tried on other HDMI port?

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Try a different HDMI cable if that dosn't work take your player around to your neighbour's again and set the HDMI output on the S760 to 720p and try again on you Pioneer.

Gluteus Maximus

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm concerned! After much deliberation I decided on the Sony S760 but having read this forum, I'm not sure what to do. The problem being is I have a Pioneer PDP428 XD plasma and don't want to experience the same issues. Is this a general problem common to Pioneer plasmas? Has anyone else experienced it?

A

Anonymous

Gluteus Maximus:I'm concerned! After much deliberation I decided on the Sony S760 but having read this forum, I'm not sure what to do. The problem being is I have a Pioneer PDP428 XD plasma and don't want to experience the same issues. Is this a general problem common to Pioneer plasmas? Has anyone else experienced it?

The only way you'll know for sure if the S760 is going to work via HDMI with your screen is to try a player at home, a good dealer would lend you their demo unit to try.

I've started a dialogue with Pioneer, but gawd they're slow - perhaps they are somewhat swamped with similar enquiries? I'll post again when/if there have been any developments, but it could be a while :-(

A

Anonymous

Hi, i've got the sony and a Pioneer 508XD no problems at all. HDMI is a VDH flat.

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
might not be helpful but i had a similar problem with a toshiba hd dvd player and a samsung tv about 2 years ago and found that the problem was the hdmi cable.

the cable was apparently only a 1.2 version and i needed a 1.3 version

the original cable was a white qed one which i changed to a newer qed cable and it worked fine

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have had problems with some hdmi cables surrounds being to big and pushing aginst the tv/projectors unit not making a proper connection and preventing handshaking - i have either had to change cables or actually cut two 45 degree cuts into the plastic case of the hdmi cable to stop pushing it out

A

Anonymous

Hi Quenzer

I've been checking back here regularly to see if you've posted any updates from your dialogue with Pioneer...

I, too, have a Pioneer plasma (a fairly ealy model, so HD ready but not full 1080p) and was keen to buy a Sony BDPS760 for my first venture into the world of blu-ray, until stumbling across this forum and learning of so many people having problems between the 2 devices.

I'm no expert on these matters, so would not have the required knowledge / insight to resolve any problems myself. Have you made any progress since your post in December?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Inneedofhelp:I, too, have a Pioneer plasma (a fairly ealy model, so HD ready but not full 1080p) and was keen to buy a Sony BDPS760 for my first venture into the world of blu-ray, until stumbling across this forum and learning of so many people having problems between the 2 devices.

So many people? Somewhat of an exaggeration, ONE person has reported an issue and hasn't been back to update us at all.

scene

I have a Sony BDP-S760 connected to my Pioneer KRP500a via a ThatCable 1m HDMI cable.

I have had no issues whatsoever with HDMI handshaking and even the "Kuro-link" functionality works (once configured) - i.e. turning off my Kuro turns off my BDP.

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
i wish manufacturers would focus to resolve this issue , it is a real pain when you are experiencing it. You don't get it with other cables

scene

The problem isn't really with the cable manufacturers, but the Studios who have insisted on HDCP, which is what causes the problem with the handshaking. Their insistence and obsession with copy protection is what mandates the absurd level of handshaking that occurs, all the time, on an hdcp protected hdmi cable. A very small level of bit rot causes the HDCP to fail and a blank screen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts