Sony S7200 - Awful video performance

andylast

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I bought the S7200 (I am a Brit living here in the US) recently after reading the glowing review on this site. I have it connected to a Pioneer Elite SC87 ( 1 model below the top of their line in the US...a fantastic receiver) and then feeding to a 75" Samsung 4K UHD HU8500 Smart TV(also new). The TV, BluRay Player and Receiver all have 4K upscaling.

The quality of the video from the S7200 is really very poor for DVD's and streaming HD, BluRay is okay but not great - pictures grainey, with ghosting and poor colour palettes(dark and muted). My old Panasonic BluRay player, which is at least 3 years or more old now and didn't cost more than $150, performs much better for picture quality for all the above. I have tried my set up with the s7200 upscaling on and off, the receiver upscaling on and off and the TV on and off etc...Nothing really materially improves the picture.

I have now switched back to my old player and my pictures have improved again. The picture you get with a BluRay disc of Avatar on this screen is truely stunning... blows you way. The S7200 is just so so....

Anyone else found this? Whats going on? I now have a Sony S7200 which is new, but useless in my mind.

andylast

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes... switched off all the s7200 upscaling, and yes I did change the cable ( althought with the same cable my old system works well). No difference.

DVD's and streamaing from the Sony in particualr are really bad. At first i thought it was maybe the TV being a 4K but I feed satellite into it as HD (1080i) and that looks great.

I updated the software when i first got the s7200 too. So right now I am stumped and maybe it is faulty and I ahve only had it a month or so, but everything fundamentlaly works and the audio is great.

abacus

Plug the 7200 direct into the TV and see if it improves, if it does, then the settings on the Pioneer are incorrect (Set them to default) if you get no (Or minimal) improvement, then it looks like the 7200 is faulty and should be returned.

Hope this helps

Bill

TRENDING THREADS