sony-or panasonic?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm in a bit of a quandry. Shortly me and my partner will be in the market for a new 40-42 inch tv. Initially, we went into the sony centre and we looked at a tv from the 'W' range- cant remember the exact model name and we were told that LCD was much sharper and the sample rate was 100hz compared to 50hz which looked impressive i have to day, but last week we went into sound and vision in poole and the told us that sony was terrible when viewing terrestrial tv and digital whereas the panasonic 42 plasma he showed us was far smoother

so which is the best to go for? pana or sony? We have around £1500 to spend which can be flexible either way

clive

A

Anonymous

If either of these two makes are your final choice I would sail in the direction of Panasonic and it's plasma displays in preference to the generally cold and clinical performing Sony's.You also don't necessarily need to spend £1,500 on a TV though really depends on what you wnat it do for you and what you may wish to connect to it.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply. Basically we dont have sky, and nor are we interestedinhavingit, so thats out of the equation.

We like to watch DVD's and digital terrestrial tv . I intend to run the sound through my meridian hi fi system and the DVD is an arcam dv88

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
If you ask for a opionion in a Sony shop it is hardly going to be unbiased and fair and naturally they will tell you that LCD is the best because Sony do not make any Plasma screens. But if you walk into a good AV/HIFI shop (not Currys et'al!) and you tell them that you intend to use the tv for DVD viewing and no plans for Sky and plan to use its built in tuners then 99% will tell you to go with a good Plasma like the Panasonic.

The Plasma will give you far greater black levels when watching your DVDS by the simple fact of how the screen works when compared to a LCD, which offers far greater detail in dark areas of the picture and motion is far smother on a Plasma also.

I personally have always founf the picture produced on a LCD screen to look Computerised and not natural as if you were viewing a downloaded video clip on your pc as where the skin tones on a good plasma look far more natural with a more 3D image.
emotion-15.gif

LeeBishop

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
hey clive, i would defo go for the panasonic plasma, i hvae just purchased one and i am very happy with it, the picture on the freeview tuner inside is amazing and dvds look fantastic, i would highly recommend this tv, plus you can now get 5 yrs guarentee on these tellies.

A

Anonymous

thats fantastic goys! Thanks for all your help! I popped in tomy localreatler after work and there was a '37' pana in the window -FULL hd, 5 yr tag at £1100 so may go for that one yet

A

Anonymous

The panny is defo the way to go - any chance you could squeeze in a 42" - you wont regret it and your budget can cover it no problem !

A

Anonymous

We would really love to, but our living room is 5..6 metres long, and our viewing postion is 2.6 metres away, so if we put a 42 in there , we would have to use up nearly the entire length of the room to appreciate its full potential!:-(

TRENDING THREADS