Sony KDL-46W4500 after repairing

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
When i check the product information on my sony TV it says "KDL-40W4500/47XX". Is this correct? You can get to this menu from the clicking HOME on remote, then i think it was "basic settings" or smth. The panel is 46", not 40".

And here's the story of the TV: I bought it about a year ago, it came with a broken HDMI2-port. I had it repaired late last year before the warranty went out. The tv came back with a new motherboard, but the fixers had broken the panel and also the tv didn't respond to the remote in the first couple of minutes after start. Also the channels were switching 4 times faster, it took now tops 1sec to get a new channel on, while before it had taken about 3-4s.

Well, tv goes off again this time for almost a month, comes back with new panel and again new mobo. Remote still not working properly. I enable "fast start" and disable it again, ok remote fixed. But channel switching takes now a bit longer and there's a couple of channels that take about 3seconds again. I call the repair guys that what's going on, they say that the tv has the latest software and it should update itself. Well, i don't know what it updates by itself but it didn't fix the 4s channel switching before by updating itself, nor has it done it now. So i guess i got some broken mobo again or smth?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If the first repair was done under warranty, but failed to fix the problem, I'd suggest you're still covered for further repairs under warranty. Or indeed, having given two opportunities to fix the problem, to now demand a replacement set.

Mind you, I would have rejected it from the off it I'd bought it new and it had a broken HDMI input.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
If the first repair was done under warranty, but failed to fix the problem, I'd suggest you're still covered for further repairs under warranty. Or indeed, having given two opportunities to fix the problem, to now demand a replacement set.

Mind you, I would have rejected it from the off it I'd bought it new and it had a broken HDMI input.

Yeah I didn't demand it when i bought it and indeed regret it, I have learned it now tho :) At the moment the TV is working fine but the only propblem is that channel switching is a bit slower than it was after the first fix. No idea what causes that. Also the product information screen shows 40W4500/47xx while the tv is 46w4500 not 40.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi leeso,try an over the air update.Leave your tv on standby tonight,on freeview channel 71(cbeebies) leave it overnight,and try again in the morning.Let us know how you get on.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
sonycentre:Hi leeso,try an over the air update.Leave your tv on standby tonight,on freeview channel 71(cbeebies) leave it overnight,and try again in the morning.Let us know how you get on.

WOW I didn't know that. Please tell me it's a little tribe of Cbeebie Elves that come out of the ether and fix your TV
emotion-2.gif
- damned clever those Japanese

matthewpiano

The point is that if the set has just come back from an authorised Sony repair agent, it should already have the latest firmware on it.

I'm off today so haven't got a suitable set in front of me to see whether its generic information that comes up on all sizes but I'll have a look tomorrow. On my own set it correctly says KDL32S2010/2020/2030 so I'm doubtful that is the answer.

(If you do try the over-air update thing, which I don't think is the answer, you need to make sure that you don't have updates turned off. Should be in the 'Technical Set-Up' menu. Personally, though, I'd be back to your retailer and/or the repair agent they use.)

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
lol.i was only trying to help............sarcasam is the lowest form of wit...........and also the best form.just try it and see what happens,as you have nothing to lose.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
waybuloo_ontv_186_105.jpg

Sony's elite repair crew receive
their orders for the night

I knew it, I knew it
emotion-11.gif

sonycentre:lol.i was only trying to help............sarcasam is the lowest form of wit...........and also the best form.just try it and see what happens,as you have nothing to lose.

Not really sarcasm, just a whimsical fancy - you have to admit, it would be really cool. Brings a whole new dimension to 3D TV. I will take your advice though and like the shoemaker, will hide behind the curtains so as not to scare them away...

Nuts, just remembered, I have a Panasonic
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi,

hmm what do you mean leave the TV on standby on freeview channel 71? Doesn't standby mean that the TV is turned off via the remote? I'm from finland, is there something special on channel 71? How long does it take approx to switch channels on your TVs? Yeah hope someone could give a confirmation also on the 40W4500/47xx text.

Thanks for the replies

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi leeso,turn your tv off by using your remote,and not the standby button on the top of your tv.leave the tv in standby overnight(before you put your tv in standby go to channel 71,then put tv in standby.

scene

So now we know why cbeebies isn't available overnight!

Iggle Piggle, La La, Nok Nok, et al. are beavering away working for Sony downloading patches to their TVs...

I assume those are Sony Tellies in the the TeleTubbies stomachs then...
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

The product information should be accurate regarding the panel size. I would suggest questioning this with the repair agent or your retailer as something doesn't seem to be quite right. I've double checked this on several different sets in several different sizes throughout the store today.

scene:
So now we know why cbeebies isn't available overnight!

Iggle Piggle, La La, Nok Nok, et al. are beavering away working for Sony downloading patches to their TVs...

I assume those are Sony Tellies in the the TeleTubbies stomachs then...
emotion-5.gif

emotion-2.gif
emotion-2.gif

It's turning out to be be one of the funniest thread I've read in recent time!!

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Seriously for a moment. This is straight up.

Had a problem with my Sony HDD/DVD recorder a couple of years ago (software problem). My dealer who I purchased from (an independant who knows his stuff) told me it needed a software update which Sony were doing over air on a certain night of the week. I had to leave the recorder on and tuned to Cbeebies as this was the channel they used (guess because nothing else came down that through the night).

Well that solved my software problem.

matthewpiano

Over-air updates are used quite regularly and by other manufacturers as well as Sony. Its a good way of resolving some firmware issues that affect all examples of a particular model.
The recorder example is a good one. Some models about 2 years ago were cancelling timer settings on the own accord and so failing to record. The over-air updates sorted this problem.

However, the OP's issue isn't a generic issue and so it is unlikely that there will be an over-air update to resolve it. It sounds like there has been a mistake somewhere along the way and the TV thinks it is a 40" rather than a 46". Presumably the repair was completed by an authorised Sony repair agent, and so going back to them for further advice would seem the most sensible route.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Over-air updates are used quite regularly and by other manufacturers as well as Sony. Its a good way of resolving some firmware issues that affect all examples of a particular model. The recorder example is a good one. Some models about 2 years ago were cancelling timer settings on the own accord and so failing to record. The over-air updates sorted this problem.

Exactly my problem, something to do with channel 5 I think.

I think I made the point because some posters seemed to think thesesoftware updates do not happen.

Take your point about the OP's issue though and your right on course of action that should be taken.

A

Anonymous

Okay, I will try to over the air update tonigth and if nothing changes i will call the repair guys tomorrow. I'll be back! :)

A

Anonymous

Channel 71 couldn't be used because the slot is empty. I guess we don't have any cbeebies in finland :/. Imma call the repair guys

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You'll need to check with the repair guys, your local Sony distributor or your local broadcast provider and find out on which channel the update is broadcast.

But as I said yonks ago, I still think you should reject this TV after several attempts to repair it haven't solved your problems.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
You'll need to check with the repair guys, your local Sony distributor or your local broadcast provider and find out on which channel the update is broadcast.

But as I said yonks ago, I still think you should reject this TV after several attempts to repair it haven't solved your problems.

So i can still get a new tv even tho the warranty went out 1month ago? Should i contact sony about this thing?

A

Anonymous

I contacted sony support today and told them i had been advised to request a whole new tv. We'll see how they reply.

matthewpiano

leeso:I contacted sony support today and told them i had been advised to request a whole new tv. We'll see how they reply.

This isn't Sony's responsibility. It is the original RETAILER you should be contacting. Your contract is with them and, as I said earlier, you need to contact them and/or the authorised repair agent they used.

Let us know how it goes. Hope you get it sorted either way.:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts