Sony KDL-40Z4500 or Samsung UE40B7020 ?

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, just looking to purchase my first flat screen shortly, i still have a cathode ray tv can you believe!

I have been very impressed with the above samsung when visiting stores especially when its playing bluray. Im just wondering about the sony tho, as it can be found online for less than the samsung with a free 3 or 5 year warranty for around £960! whereas i would need to pay extra for a warranty for the samsung, around £1150 in total with a decent warranty.

I rememer when the sony came out last year it was initially around £1800 and what hifi still has it listed it at £1500, i wonder which tv out of the two would what hifi choose?

any thoughts on the above? anyone got either set, thoughts much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Hi J4,

Im also looking to buy my first LCD in time for the world cup 2010, and am looking at the Samsung / Sony as well, but I've narrowed my must have's to LED backlighting as it produces much better contrast / black levels than the non-LED lCD's. And also 200 Hz to limit the movement problems on LCD's. I've just about decided on the Samsung UE408000 which has both my must have's but Im just waiting for the new 40" Philips set to be released ( August ) as that will also have LED backlighting and 200Hz, but Im lead to believe that a lot of makers are going to be bringing out LED sets this autumn so I'd hold off buying until Xmas time or even Jan. sales time.

I've seen the Samsung 7020 set and its pictures look great but the motion on the Sony seems better to me but with poorer contrast & I think the style of the set is not very good not a patch on the Samsung and when will sony finally bring out an LED tv other than the one flagship model it has on offer !

Anyway happy hunting and although reviews are a good starting point always choose based on what looks the best to you.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Stephen thanks for your comments, i too would like my budget to stretch to the Samsung UE408000 because of the 200hz and deep blacks etc and i would like it in time for the world cup in hd!

I keep reading people having problems with clouding on sony models which is disturbing when your spending lots on a new product.

In an ideal world id go for a philips but they are so expensive!

Decisions decisions...

A

Anonymous

I am tempted to go for the new Sony KDL-46Z5500 when it comes out shortly; imo I think Sony handles motion much better than the Samsungs and generally produce a better picture;the only problem with Sony's of course is the backlight! Hopefully that problem will have been sorted with this new set??

WHF are carrying out a group test of all the latest 40" sets in the forthcoming mag (out next week); it might be worthwhile waiting for the results before deciding?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts