Sony home cinema DAV-IS10 you know the one that won the 07 award with the tiny golf ball speakers!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all well this is my first post & hope I can get some answers? I am looking to buy the above system & the simple question is does anybody know if I could hide the subwoofer behind the plasma stand? I know in whathifi reviews they said you can shove the ugly subwoofer in a tight corner but can I shove it out of site to if that makes sense - ie will the tv & stand kinda block the bass effects or not?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Won't block the bass, but will play havoc with the midrange - and given the tiny speakers, the subwoofer does do quite a lot of the work up into the midrange.

A

Anonymous

Also, if you download the user manual from Sony's website, it specifically advises against positioning behind a panel for the reason Andrew gave above.

A

Anonymous

To one side, as close to the fronts as possible. It is not as big and ugly as some, but it is integral to the success of your system's sound. This is not one of those big subwoofers for low range only.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys thanks so much for your info that has really helped me, Also a big thanks to Andrew as I know you prob a busy man?

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

Your comment is interesting to hear, I had downloaded the Sony manual too, and noted it said do not place behind the TV. I had intended to put the sub at the other side of the room, which cant be done.

I've just bought a Sony KDL32D3000 TV which stands 45cm high, the same as the sub, and from what I can tell the sub has 2 speakers, would I be right in assuming the mid range speaker is the one in the top of the unit, in which case the mid range would still be ok as the sub stands 45cm hight too.... or am I missing some thing?

I've tried asking sony this question and they were next to useless!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I've just spoken to Sony and they say that the sub can only be place in an area by itself not close to the TV or a wall !

Hardly a product of the year IMO :-(

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
That's more or less true of any subwoofer of this kind, so not a deal-breaker as regards the Award in my opinion.

I think the 'not against a wall' thing is designed to avoid corner placement, where it might get too boomy. Close to a flatscreen TV won't be a problem, as long as the sub isn't hidden away behind the screen, and thus masked.

A

Anonymous

It cannot be surrounded or cornered to avoid bass boom and unlike most subs, it needs to be visible from your normal viewing position ie. the midrange must reach your ears clearly. Those tiny speakers really do work but work with the sub, not in addition to it.

It would not win product placement of the year but I imagine it won product of the year because it is possibly the first product to offer true 5:1 surround whilst not taking over the whole living room. This is ideal for people who have a small/medium sized room and (particularly in my case) married.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As Scotty from Star Trek would have it: "you cannae change the laws of physics" - that midrange has got to come from somewhere, and in the Sony's case it comes incredibly convincingly from the subwoofer, which is happy tucked alongside a chimneyplace or alongside your TV/kit rack.

If you want a sleeker solution, try a soundbar like the Yamaha YSP range - but you won't get either the bass or true surround steering of the Sony. And it'll cost you more (without upscaling DVD replay, either).

Yes, the Sony's not perfect - sadly as yet we've found no one-box solution that is; there's always a compromise of some sorts involved - but it's the best you can buy at that money, truly innovative and is far better value than rival systems. That's why it's Product of the Year.

A

Anonymous

Well well I now have loads of info thank you all very much, Clare you also gave me a great idea in saying put it near your rack! Yes I said ... what I will do is move my hifi down to the other end of the room then put the ugly badboy woofer behind the lounge door (which is always kept open with a door wedge) BINGO the woofer is now hidden until I want to watch a film & its not to close to the wall? All I do now is put those cute little golf balls on the wall & chanel the wires in. Jobs a goodun ;0)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts