Sony DAV-IS10 / The one with golf ball sized speakers! / Newbie seeks more help please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All, Just bought a new pioneer PDP4280XD and intend to get a PS3 for Blu ray and Sky HD as soon as budget allows. What are your thought on the Sony DAV-IS10 dvd/cinema system ? Heard one in use and thought it was great to be honest. Hows the DVD player etc - Will it make the most of my TV and vice versa ? I know nothing about sound and upscaling etc etc! I know very little but for the price it seemed a good option (and easy for me to hide my speakers!) I need to let the guy know ASAP if I want this system so your urgent help appreciated, Cheers JAMIE

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's a great system for the money (you can buy it new for about £350 now). The inbuilt DVD player won't be as good as the PS3 when you get that, but I wouldn't let that put you off - just use it purely for surround. Please be aware, it can't handle the hi-def sound formats found on Blu-Ray discs, just Dolby Digital / DTS 5.1. As long as you're happy with that though, it's a cracking system!

A

Anonymous

Cheers - You helped me last time so thanks again!
OK so is the PS3 better at normal def DVD discs than this player ?
The high def sound - Is it really worth having ?
Will it still work with blu ray ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I haven't seen the DVD section of the Sony in action, but would be 99.99% sure that the PS3 is better having seen this in action. Is hi-def sound worth having? It depends really. I believe it is, but it will cost you a fair bit more on your sound system to really appreciate the upgrade so it's something only you can decide. The IS10 will still work fine with Blu-Ray - just hook your PS3 / Blu-Ray player up with an optical cable and it will automatically send out the Dolby Digital / DTS core mix from the HD soundtrack, still giving you the full 5.1 surround effects. The difference is, the HD sound formats are less compressed and thus have more detail in the sound.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the Prof and that the Sony package is more suited to a budget system and not to be connected to Bluray or big decent screens. I reckon you would be wasting the abilities of the rest of your kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts