Sony Blu Ray 760 Settings

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, can anyone shed any light on the video settings on the affore mentioned Blu Ray player, mainly noise reduction & the HDMI enhancer, I have them all turned off and I get a decent pic.

Looking forward to some feedback from other owners of this Blu Ray player.

It begs the question are all these extra settings a help or not.............

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i think i have them all turned off for blu ray and turn some on for dvd when i remember - i always find this interesting as for example i have sony tvs and bought because of the bravia engine but then turn all the picture processing off so makes you wonder

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Well thats it, is all this hi-tech video processing over complicating things and a necessary sales pitch but to no real improvement to picture quality especailly if it's turmed off.

For instance I would favour a better quality product i.e. electronic components, chassis and build materials rather then all these hi-tech gizmo's........

A

Anonymous

But these 'technologies' are what makes this blu-ray good, rite? If you turn everything off, then you might as well just get a Sony 370 and save some money?

A

Anonymous

Dermondo:
Well thats it, is all this hi-tech video processing over complicating things and a necessary sales pitch but to no real improvement to picture quality especailly if it's turmed off.

For instance I would favour a better quality product i.e. electronic components, chassis and build materials rather then all these hi-tech gizmo's........

Yes, like the Denon 2500

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
SamsonD:But these 'technologies' are what makes this blu-ray good, rite? If you turn everything off, then you might as well just get a Sony 370 and save some money?

well no as some of the technologies cause more hassel than they remove - you would buy the 760 if you wanted the built in wireless and the full set of analogue outs which the 370 doesn't have, if you didn't need those options you prob would be better with the 370 although the build quality of the 760 is far far greater than the budget model - thats what you really pay for - i amgine the component are also better not just the casings

it also depends on you as a person - i find many things that annoy me like smearing, bad colours, badly shot images my girlfriend would never notice them or she would notice but not bothered by them - thats why she watches and enjoys and tells me off for tweaking

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:
SamsonD:But these 'technologies' are what makes this blu-ray good, rite? If you turn everything off, then you might as well just get a Sony 370 and save some money?

well no as some of the technologies cause more hassel than they remove - you would buy the 760 if you wanted the built in wireless and the full set of analogue outs which the 370 doesn't have, if you didn't need those options you prob would be better with the 370 although the build quality of the 760 is far far greater than the budget model - thats what you really pay for - i amgine the component are also better not just the casings

it also depends on you as a person - i find many things that annoy me like smearing, bad colours, badly shot images my girlfriend would never notice them or she would notice but not bothered by them - thats why she watches and enjoys and tells me off for tweaking

So, the 'HD Reality Enhancer', 'Super Bit Mapping', Precision Cinema HD' - all suppossedly from the flagship 5000es is just hogwash???? Maybe so, seeing that the budget S370 beat it!!!!

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
SamsonD:Dermondo:

Yes, like the Denon 2500

Agreed, and straight to the point.
emotion-21.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SamsonD:So, the 'HD Reality Enhancer', 'Super Bit Mapping', Precision Cinema HD' - all suppossedly from the flagship 5000es is just hogwash???? Maybe so, seeing that the budget S370 beat it!!!!

The 370, as the numbering suggests, is from the next generation of player compared to the 760, so it's not that surprising that it's moved the performance on, especially not with a technology that's as immature as blu-ray.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
007L2Thrill:SamsonD:Dermondo:Well thats it, is all this hi-tech video processing over complicating things and a necessary sales pitch but to no real improvement to picture quality especailly if it's turmed off.

Yes, like the Denon 2500

emotion-21.gif

Funny, seems to me most people in this thread are completely missing the point.

In this case it's that the Denon, on release, was significantly more expensive than the Sony, so the idea that it might outperform it shouldn't come as that much of a surprise.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
SamsonD:So, the 'HD Reality Enhancer', 'Super Bit Mapping', Precision Cinema HD' - all suppossedly from the flagship 5000es is just hogwash???? Maybe so, seeing that the budget S370 beat it!!!!

The 370, as the numbering suggests, is from the next generation of player compared to the 760, so it's not that surprising that it's moved the performance on, especially not with a technology that's as immature as blu-ray.

So the next £400 ish player from Sony will clearly outperform the flagship £1k 5000ES, based on your argument?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Very helpful couple of posts there, SamsonD...

What's wrong with my posts?

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:007L2Thrill:SamsonD:Dermondo:Well thats it, is all this hi-tech video processing over complicating things and a necessary sales pitch but to no real improvement to picture quality especailly if it's turmed off.

Yes, like the Denon 2500

emotion-21.gif

In this case it's that the Denon, on release, was significantly more expensive than the Sony, so the idea that it might outperform it shouldn't come as that much of a surprise.

You just contradicted yourself with your post on the 370 vs 760.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SamsonD:the_lhc:SamsonD:So, the 'HD Reality Enhancer', 'Super Bit Mapping', Precision Cinema HD' - all suppossedly from the flagship 5000es is just hogwash???? Maybe so, seeing that the budget S370 beat it!!!!

So the next £400 ish player from Sony will clearly outperform the flagship £1k 5000ES, based on your argument?

Hmm, nope, don't think you can draw a conclusion as definitive as that from anything I've said. I wouldn't be surprised if it's very very good though.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SamsonD:the_lhc:007L2Thrill:SamsonD:Dermondo:Well thats it, is all this hi-tech video processing over complicating things and a necessary sales pitch but to no real improvement to picture quality especailly if it's turmed off.

Yes, like the Denon 2500

emotion-21.gif

You just contradicted yourself with your post on the 370 vs 760.

Not at all. The 760 is the next price level up from the 360, £200 compared to around £400 (original RRP that is), the Denon 2500BT was more than double the price of the 760 (£900), so has clearly been built to a higher grade of performance. The 370, as I've already stated is a later generation of product, compared to the 760 and has no doubt been built on the experience of that model, so for it to exceed it in performance is not a surprise.

A

Anonymous

Ok, thanks for your explanation. I bought the S370 and found it did not even outperform my previous BD35, so I cannot figure out how it can be better than the S760.

I will buy an S760 and find out myself.

A

Anonymous

SamsonD:
Ok, thanks for your explanation. I bought the S370 and found it did not even outperform my previous BD35, so I cannot figure out how it can be better than the S760.

are you rich
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:SamsonD:

are you rich
emotion-4.gif

No maxflinn, I'm not - wish I was!! I buy these to test them for myself and then decide to keep or sell.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Anyhow, I spent a bit of time with the settings on the Sony BD760 just to keep my options open and then can make a difference all be it a small one, but if have erred on the side of caution and left those with a scale form 0-3 at 0 and others on auto this seems to work best.

What I did notice with some of the settings when notched up a bit it possibly cleaned up the pic a bit but left it with an artificial feel and a little washed out, that's my opinion only and all down to person taste and an individual preference to what he/she enjoys the most.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:

SamsonD:

are you rich

No maxflinn, I'm not - wish I was!! I buy these to test them for myself and then decide to keep or sell.

Do you not have the possibility of auditioning any equipment before you buy Samson ? Just seems an expensive way of finding out if you like something or not !!!

A

Anonymous

Auditioning is too much of a hassle for me. I prefer to do it this way, in the comfort of my own home and equipment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts