Sony BDP-S470 sound help please - relevant for 370 owners too

F

FunkyMonkey

Have just set this up. Couple of little niggles.

1. You cannot FORCE 24fps ON for blu ray. Only Auto or Off. Problem for me because my TV does 24fps but does not tell an HDMI source this, therefore the source player, in this case the 470 has to send through in 60fps. THis isn't a big deal as it was when the PS3 first came out because the 3:2 pull down (correct term?) is exceptional on this player.

2. I need help. Cannot get the player to output in HD sound modes. Only PCM. Again, this player converts from native HD sound like DTS-HD to PCM much better than the PS3 did, but I would still prefer my receiver to do this. Anybody got this working? Again, the sound option is Auto detect via HDMI, but my receiver shoudl have let my player let it be known it can decode all HD sound formats. It's an Onkyo 805.

Thanks.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Would have though the latest gen Sony players would allow you bitsream audio through HDMI to your receiver? Is the audio output definitely set to bistream? The whole 24 fps thing sounds a bit unusual as well. As I'm planning on buying the 370 I'm intrigued to know what the answers to your questions are?

F

FunkyMonkey

Just to clarify, the 24fps problem is specific, as far as I know, to early Samsung 1080p TV's. This was "secretly" a 24fps telly, i.e. not specced. Even the latest models of my TV were abel to do this automatically, but my early production model has to be FORCED on. The PS3 introduced a FORCE ON feature in an early update.

These days this is probably a non-problem.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I had a problem with the 370 bit-streaming to my yamaha, or i thought i did. turned out it was my HDMI control setting which was set to delivering sound for pass through to amp and tv - changing this to amp only sorted it out. It wasn't an Onkyo but I'm guessing it is a setting on your amp rather than the blu ray player.

F

FunkyMonkey

Found the solution...on page 26 of the manual. :p

You have to set "BD Audio Mix Setting" to OFF.

If it is on, and I remember this from a previous issue somewhere, the sound is sent as PCM...due to technical reasons.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts