Sony BDP-S370 Sound output very quiet

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All

I recently purchased a Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray Player from Amazon and it came with a free Amazon Basics HDMI cable.

I've connected the player up to the TV (a Sony Bravia KDL-46EX403U) but the sound output is extremely quiet compared to all the other devices attached to the TV: I have a TiVo and a Humax 9150T PVR connected, both via SCART, and they both sound fine, as does the built-in tuner. I also have a Wii connected up using the component video cable, and that is fine too. But for the Blu-Ray player I have to turn the TV volume right up to get it to the same level as the other devices. I've no complaints about the picture output.

I don't have another HDMI cable to hand currently, but surely the cable isn't the problem? I've tried connecting the player to the other HDMI ports and it's the same quiet output. Sorry, I'm new to this technology, having just upgraded to LCD TV and Blu-Ray from an old Toshiba CRT and Lite-on DVD Player.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Paul

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I use a QED Profile HDMI cable - that I picked up from Tesco for £15 in a special introductory offer that has now ended - for connecting the Sony BDP S370 to our Samsung 32".

Volume levels through the TV speakers seem no different - with the S370 - to normal terrestrial Freeview TV and are not noticeably different to levels from our Panasonic DMR-EX78. (Using a £25 John Lewis HDMI cable.)

For listening through the hifi, the S370 is connected with optical digital to a Beresford DAC and - again - no noticeable difference in level from our DMR EX78. (Using fixed level output from the DAC.)

BBC iPlayer from the S370 also sounds no different in level to DVD/BD/Freeview via the using TV's built in speakers or via the DAC and Hifi.

A

Anonymous

Hi Paul I have the exact same problem. I checked with the local Sony shop and on this forum and the consensus I got was that this was normal. I've connected another Blu Ray (Samsung) and tried seperate HDMI cable, and seperate HDMI slots, no change, sound still the same. What I have not tried is a different TV? I read alot on the forum about sound dropouts, however I'm not sure our issue shows the same symptoms as described. Unless I get any advise to the contrary I'll have to accept this is the 'norm' and if I wish to have better sound output, I'll have to go for a set of speakers...... Sorry I can't be of any real help, but at least you know, you're not alone... regards Steve.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Might be worth checking the sound output settings on the 370 to see if you're outputting a surround mix or stereo? If you set this to stereo (I think the default, or "auto," setting is surround) it might resolve the problem.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I think the more 'detail' there is in a sound format, the more you need to turn up the volume to get the same noise level. I find, after watching a blu-ray, I need to turn the vol right down, before switching to telly, as I'll be deafened! see what the sound output choices are, and select the appropriate one (i.e. if you're using your telly's speakers, and not a dedicated home cinema system, you'll only need to output stereo).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts