Sony 40w4500, best blueray player, hdmi & scart cables out on the market?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently purchased the Sony 40w4500 from Sony centre for 1k. Using SD through the eurovox max 2008.

Should i buy the Sony blueray 350 player for £100 as part of the offer?

What are the best one's out there at the moment? What would be the best hdmi cables? And would they make that much difference to the standard one's u get?

What are the best scart cables to go from Eurovox max 2008 to the tv? Just using the standard one's @ the moment. And would the scart cables really make a difference to the picture quality?

Am looking to upgrade to HD freesat/Sky HD or even eurovox hd in the near future.

Help would be appreciated.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

£100 is a bargain especially if you get a few movies free with it. The Sony 350 can be found for around £150-£180 with loads of blu ray movies if you shop around. Surprised they never gave it with the TV though. I think the player comes with 2 blu ray movies which you need to register the machine online to recieve...£100 with 2 blu ray films is well worth it.

As for hdmi, mine never had one in the box and i wasnt gonna spend £50 on one from Sony Centre so i got one for a tenner from Asda and the pic looks amazing. I wouldnt spend more than 20 quid on a hdmi, as you can get QED from play for about that much.

A

Anonymous

Hey buddy...picked up the blue ray player for £100, with another 2 year gurantee for £25. A bit of peice of mind.

Have you got the link for 2 free blu ray movies?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
At £100, I would go for it. That's the same price as the Bush player from Argos, which apparently is fine on small screens. I am still waiting for the profiles etc. to settle down and to see a decent selection of players before upgrading from my trusty PS3. Some of the current players still don't decode all the audio formats etc. which they will need to do to play future interactive discs due to the way the discs are authored. Thanks to various upgrades from Sony, the PS3 does exactly what a BD player should do and more and that is why I'm sticking with it for now. There is a link on the home page to the current best BD players.

I have various hdmi cables in my system ranging from the freebies issued with sky hd and HDDVD through to a £10 octava cable and more expensive cables from markgrant and bettercables. My most recent cable was the octava one from tmfsolutions who are very knowledable and helpful and should I need another hdmi cable in the future, that's the ones I will be going for. Also check out bluejeanscables.co.uk who stock various hdmi cables and have an excellent reputation.

Re. SCART, I would always advocate changing the cheap n' nasty black freebie cables that you get free. They really are poor quality and can come apart, potentially damaging your equipment. You should notice a fair difference with an upgraded cable but imho, there is no need to go daft. The Thor SCART cable at £18 or so is more than enough, as are the Ixos blue range, Vivanco Prowire and Philex. QED are obviously good quality too but are more expensive but imho, the Thor is the best of the bunch in my setup which includes far more expensive ones.

Freesat HD is a non event at present. If it wasn't for BBC-HD there would be nothing to watch. The ITV-HD (redbutton) effort is pretty poor both in terms of programming, picture quality and service. Sometimes, they appear to forget to even start the HD broadcast (football). I'm afraid you get what you pay for, so Sky HD gets the thumbs up from me, especially now they've launched more HD movie channels.

A

Anonymous

I ended up buying a QED 2110 scart as the reviews were the best & was at £20.

Not pleased @ all, the ends are very heavy and dont fit in properly. The freebies from NTL seem to fit alot better.

I will try the The Thor SCART cable next or the ixos hxt 601 as suggested.

A guy at super fi suggested running it through HDMI which i tried. So i bought the Van Den Hul 1 metre HDMI cable to run through the sony rdrhxd970b and use the scart from the dvd recorder to the eurovox.

This seem to make the picture quality worse for the menu's, more fuzzy.

Will use the Van den hul for the sony 350 blue ray player.

Any suggestions on how to get the best out of the dvd/hd recorder?

A

Anonymous

QED Performance are great value for money & can be bought on line for about £20-25 for 1M & around £34 for 2M

You won't be dissapointed!

A

Anonymous

Will try a few more scart cables first.

I connected up the blueray player to the tv via the VDH flat HDMI. The sound doesn't isn't loud @ all.

Should i use the audio cables supplied? Why would i have to? Would it still be @ 1080p level?

The dvd recorder goes through scart.

Is there really much difference between a dvd recorder that upscales dvds to 1080p & a blueray player?

TRENDING THREADS