Sonos vs Squeezebox

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I still can not choose which to buy, sonos or squeezebox.

1. I read that squeezebox's web interface is not so good compared to sonos

2. Does sonos upsample their s/pdif output like the latest Roku?

3. The first wired sonos acting as bridge can be eliminated - which is good

Do you guys know other pro or cons ... any advice is welcome

A

Anonymous

The Squeezebox web interface and slimserver software are easy to use, I have no problems. Why not download Slimserver and Softsqueeze, which are free and play around with them.
The Sonos has a lovely handheld controller thingy but then it costs a lot more.
SB3 can be used as a wired/wireless bridge. SB3 can stream internet radio, not sure if Sonos can, SB3 can be your alarm clock. It sounds and looks fab.
I've got 2 SB3's and wouldn't be without them now, I have built a separate small pc which I use as a server which wakes up on lan within 30 seconds when I want to listen. A great invention.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifi_nut"] SB3 can be your alarm clock. I have built a separate small pc which I use as a server which wakes up on lan within 30 seconds when I want to listen. A great invention.[/quote]

The alarm plays your song playlist, am I right?
emotion-18.gif
Will it wake the PC and after 30 sec the alarm still on?

A Great invention indeed....
emotion-2.gif
Does Sonos can wake PC on lan too?

A

Anonymous

[

The alarm plays your song playlist, am I right?
emotion-18.gif
Will it wake the PC and after 30 sec the alarm still on?

Have not tried that yet but think it does, I use Squeezenetwork, ie. Internet radio, as an alrm sometimes. The server does not need to be on to listen to the radio.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

SONOS also offers an alarm clock (for your morning wakeup) and can of course playback streamed (Internet) audio as well. One big advantage over SqueezeBox is that SONOS does not require server software for playback of your audio library. No SlimServer or DLNA/uPnP server required.

Wake On Lan is not something that SONOS or SqueezeBox are supposed to support. PC's with a WakeOnLan-equipped network card and bios automatically wakeup if they receive an Ethernet package (probably TCP/IP) that's addressed to them. Regardless of who sends these packages (SONOS, SqueezeBox etc...)
I'm not sure about SqueezeBox, but SONOS works fine with a >30second delay when waking up a PC.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifi_nut"]I have built a separate small pc which I use as a server which wakes up on lan within 30 seconds when I want to listen.[/quote]

does it power off when you are not using it? you know global warming issue..

Does anyone here upgrade their Squeezebox using linear power supply, where do you get it?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gwnzen"]
[quote user="hifi_nut"]I have built a separate small pc which I use as a server which wakes up on lan within 30 seconds when I want to listen.[/quote]

Does anyone here upgrade their Squeezebox using linear power supply, where do you get it?
[/quote]

Unfortunately it doesn't power off, so I just flick it manually. I constructed a psu after reading a post on avforums that someone had done it, I put a list of bits I used here, post 84.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533487&highlight=roba666&page=6

haider

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
No here's a small tease; I was walking through town and popped into Currys digital(Formerly known as Dixons) and they have a Logic(own brand) unit for internet radio and Media streaming for under 50quid. Its a line level module so just plugs into and amp just like the Squeez box or Sonos system. Its an Alarm clock too etc. Might be woth checking how it compares to the other systems. Ok its unlikely to have the best DAC or line stage at that price, but you never know. Functionally it seems to do pretty much what teh squeez box does though.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifi_nut"][quote user="gwnzen"]

[/quote] Unfortunately it doesn't power off, so I just flick it manually. I constructed a psu after reading a post on avforums that someone had done it, I put a list of bits I used here, post 84. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533487&highlight=roba666&page=6 [/quote]

Hey I found cool PC, it will save our dear planet, it only consume < 15 watt it;s www.koolu.com

and the PSU, It;s too messy for me too built one. I just google it and found http://www.welbornelabs.com/squeeze.htm

it cost more then your project

what do you guys think about it, is it justifiable

Hi haider,

I am planning to go hi end someday .. I don;t think your cheaper unit will satisfy me... Sonos or squeezebox most likely have a chance
emotion-5.gif
( I hope I am wrong) Thanks for your contribution though

haider

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Well was just wondering if anyone knew how they performed.

My view and from reputation I dont think either are truely high end, if thats your aim. They probably compete quite well at the lower mid end in sound terms. This is functionality aside of course.

But dont take my word for it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="haider"]
Hi Well was just wondering if anyone knew how they performed.

My view and from reputation I dont think either are truely high end, if thats your aim. They probably compete quite well at the lower mid end in sound terms. This is functionality aside of course.

But dont take my word for it.
[/quote]

Depends on you definition of high end. SB3 happily competes with £1000+ cd players, I had a Roksan Caspian and there was nothing between them. Feed it decently ripped music for a start. Of course you could always buy a Transporter which is a different league altogether.

A

Anonymous

Hi Rob

[quote user="RobVermeulen"]One big advantage over SqueezeBox is that SONOS does not require server software for playback of your audio library. .[/quote]

But you can still edit the playlist, right?

How does SONOS read FLAC file in the PC? how do you manage the library?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="RobVermeulen"]Hi,

One big advantage over SqueezeBox is that SONOS does not require server software for playback of your audio library. No SlimServer or DLNA/uPnP server required.
[/quote]

Actually, this isn't quite right:

Get a free account at mp3tunes.com
Dowload Oboesync and backup your library online (unlimited space). Bonus.
Use Squeezenetwork to log into your mp3tunes.com library.
Stream your music with no need for a server.

I have to say the SB3 is an insane piece of kit. Probably one of the best gadgets I have bought at any price.
Also the quality is tremendous, I have a pretty decent setup - check the system thread on this site, and the thing performs miracles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts