Sonos Trade up programme - worth the upgrade?

scene

I've got 4 Play 5s and 3 Connects which are eligible for trading up: the Play 5s to the latest edition, the Connects to Ports.

With the Play 5s (and when I bought mine they were ZP5!), there's the obvious improvement of the 6 vs. 5 speakers and improved bass. The styling's better and there are touch controls. The new 5s go louder without getting harsh, something the old ones do when pushed hard. Having said that, mine are in bedrooms and don't get played so loud and I've found there's plenty enough bass for me. If I were using them as stereo pairs I might think different because I think the latest edition of the Play 5 beats my one on that front by a margin.

As for the Ports. Like you, I don't use Airplay, so gaining that and losing the Optical port makes little difference. And it's got a better D to A convertor... For two of my connects, that makes no difference as I'm using digital out (optical actually - so having to swap that would be a minor issue). As for the one connected to the A85, maybe an improved DAC would prove the sound. But even with 30% off it's still £340 and not enough of a step change for me to justify the outlay.

If they were offering hi Res sound on the Ports, then it might be a different matter....

Reactions: bigboss

scene

Thanks. The only reason for me to consider would be that my S5 is almost 9 years old and at some stage it will fail (like all electronics do). Is there any time limit for the trade ups?

Some of my connects are that old and my S5s are about 8yrs old, so I can understand your thinking.

According to the t&c on the Sonos website (and it's a US t&c) the trade in offer started on 1st October and runs until Sonos Inc. issue a notification... So appears to be running for as long as Sonos decide.

Once you start the process, your old equipment disables after a few weeks.

scene

Actually, thinking about it, isn't the question:
If you were thinking about replacing an eligible Sonos, would the 30% discount off a new one be more (or at least the same) as you would get, after listing fees and p&p, if you auctioned you're existing one?

Reactions: bigboss

BaggaZee

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's a particularly good look for Sonos to encourage the bricking of perfectly good electronics rather than selling them on to the second hand market and thereby extending their useful life. Plus, I reckon I'll get more than 30% of the cost of a port for my connects.

scene

I don't think it's a particularly good look for Sonos to encourage the bricking of perfectly good electronics rather than selling them on to the second hand market and thereby extending their useful life. Plus, I reckon I'll get more than 30% of the cost of a port for my connects.
That's what I thought...

But I've started looking at eBay and £120 (30% of the Port price) looks like about the price of Connects on eBay (excluding dealer prices). As for bricking them, I assume they'll still be covered by WEEE regs, so they'll have to recycle them...

wolfman20220

Dec 15, 2019
Visit site
I would be inclined to agree, except I would not feel right about selling it. Landfills are already loaded with enough junk. Recycling perfectly good electronics for 30% does nothing for our environment. I will run mine till it dies. Then I will decide if I want to stay with sonos. There is so many options in the market today compared to 5 years ago let alone 9 years ago. My eval will simply be how I play music/watch tv today. 5 Years ago no airplay and today I still don't use that nor require it. I try and be as agnostic in my choices of devices/services as I can. I hate being forced in one platform. For that reason I choose services like netflix or spotify, etc I wish I could play directly from my chromebook. Sonos says I have to use google assistant or alexa but not both. Not sure why that is. I run all my lights from both assistant and also from homekit. Maybe sonos needs a new platform?

Reactions: tino

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the Sonos Tradeup programme has attracted a lot of negative press and the "environmental" credentials of this initiative are being called out as being very questionable. I think it very irresponsible for Sonos to brick perfectly serviceable and working devices that could continue to be reused.

Reactions: Niallivm
Seems like the Sonos Tradeup programme has attracted a lot of negative press and the "environmental" credentials of this initiative are being called out as being very questionable. I think it very irresponsible for Sonos to brick perfectly serviceable and working devices that could continue to be reused.
My understanding is that Sonos would repurpose the parts and fully recycle the components.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Sonos has made my decision easier today.

Just ordered a couple of Sonos Ones, a Play:5 and a Move. Couldn't justify spending £279 for Sonos Port to connect to powered speakers (Audioengine 2). So got One instead.

Wont be doing the same. I will be going elsewhere for the replacement for my connect.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
No chance I’m going to accept this 30% trade-in offer and buy more Sonos kit after this announcement.
It’s terrible value if your existing equipment is in A1 condition and working well, plus the prospect that any new replacements are only going to last 5 years or so, before Sonos pull the plug on them too.

canth

Apr 8, 2020
Visit site
Yep I did upgrade my components (ZP90 and Connect:Amp). The ZP90 I already upgraded last year, so that one was 'recycled'. I upgraded the Connect:Amp last month and did manage to sell it, so that made the upgrade another 100 euros cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts