Sonos set-up questions

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm considering buying a Sonos ZP90 to stream from my NAS, I've downloaded the manual but it's raised more questions than it answered.

It explicitly states that you must have a fast internet connection for use during the set-up process and for future software upgrades (and internet radio). I only use a 3 mobile dongle for internet at home, so that's no use at all.

Does anyone know if I can run through the set-up process and bypass the part when it asks you to connect to the internet? Or will it come to a crashing halt at that point? And will it work ok without the internet connection subsequently? I imagine I could download any software updates to my PC and update the ZP90 through my network, but I don't know how fussy the Sonos is.

I guess I could take it into work and use their connection for the set-up if it's a complete stumbling block, but I don't really want to do that, and I don't want to have to take it back into work to update software.

Any help is much appreciated, cheers. DJ

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the issue you might have will be that you need to plug one zone (or a zonebridge) in to a router. Without a router, it won't work.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Lee, I've got my NAS connected to a standalone wireless router and the intention is to connect a zonebridge to that (I see the price has gone down recently :grin: ). You've just got me wondering whether I could persuade the ZP90 to connect to the internet through the zonebridge/wireless router using my laptop as a gateway to the 3 mobile dongle... I feel some experimentation coming on, where's my white lab coat and clip board???

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Your Sonos system categorically will not work without a wired connection to an active router at all times. You only need one such connection but you must have it at all times. As long as you have that connection, all zoneplayers you have will create their own wireless 'mesh'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts