Sonos repairs

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

has anyone had to get a ZP repaired, and if so, know what it costs and who does it?

The Zp120 in my kitchen/diner started losing connection over the last few days, getting progressively worse. It got to the point where it would cut out after a minute or so and effectively lock up before dissapearing from the list of zones. A reboot would bring it back to life, but only for a short period of time.

On the plus side, as part of trying to narrow down the fault, I brought a ZP90 down from the study, dug out an old Nad amp that we've had sitting in a wardrobe for years and plugged it all in and it sounded much better than the 120 ever did :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Do you know there's actually anything wrong with it (ie have you spoken to Sonos Support)? That behaviour could be due to wireless interference or duplicate IP addresses, although given the ZP90 works in the same place that may rule out interference.

scene

When it locked up and disappeared from the list of zones, could you still mute the ZP using the physical mute button - i.e. did the mute light come on?

If Yes, then the problem is network related in some way (not ruling out a problem with the ZP's wifi), if No, then its the ZP hanging for real.

Just to check: have all your ZPs and controller (apps) got the latest Sonos (firmware) patches?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I've sent them a diagnostic report and am waiting to hear back.

I rebooted each ZP and the router, switched off various other wireless devices and used different controllers and wireless channels, all with the same result. The fact that another unit works in the same location was my final "deadspot" test, which always seemed unlikely as that zone had worked fine for some time in situ.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
scene said:
When it locked up and disappeared from the list of zones, could you still mute the ZP using the physical mute button - i.e. did the mute light come on?

If Yes, then the problem is network related in some way (not ruling out a problem with the ZP's wifi), if No, then its the ZP hanging for real.

Just to check: have all your ZPs and controller (apps) got the latest Sonos (firmware) patches?

Hmmm, didn't check the mute (the white light remained on throughout), but yes, they all have the latest firmware. When I tried them grouped, the other zones would stay on, but the kitchen would drop again.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
That could still be a duplicate IP address, the usual advice is to switch everything connected to the network off, then switch everything back on in the order of router, wired Sonos device, wireless Sonos devices, wired other devices, wireless other devices, waiting about a minute between each device. Have you changed anything on the network recently (ie just before the ZP120 started going wrong)?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
No changes. I added a new mobile phone to the network, that is all.

EDIT: Wouldn't an IP issue mean no music at all though, rather than sporadic?

scene

Lee H said:

Not sure with a duplicate IP - depends if the other device was only sporadically sending / receiving, rather than continously.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:

Which is a network client that requires an IP address. Do you get the issue if that phone is disconnected from the network.

No, this is very typical accoridng to everything I've seen on the Sonos forums. They're worth a shout, although the first thing they'll tell you is to do the whole reboot thing like I did. If you're lucky you may get a Sonos support person ask you for the diagnostic number.

Just a thought, you contacted Sonos after submitting the diagnostic report, because that by itself doesn't raise a support ticket with them, you have to contact them and give them the diagnostic number?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Just a thought, you contacted Sonos after submitting the diagnostic report, because that by itself doesn't raise a support ticket with them, you have to contact them and give them the diagnostic number?

Did the "contact us" thing from their support site, which gives you the option to add a diagnostic number.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Ok, fair enough, still worth asking the question on the Sonos forum, it sometimes prompts one of the support staff to pick up the call.

Is there any possibility you can try the ZP120 wired instead of wireless, even temporarily?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Ok, fair enough, still worth asking the question on the Sonos forum, it sometimes prompts one of the support staff to pick up the call.

Is there any possibility you can try the ZP120 wired instead of wireless, even temporarily?

I'm ploughing through their forums at the moment. I could try wiring the 120 if push comes to shove, but it's my only amplified ZP so speakers would be more the issue.

Right now, it's not crucial as we have a kitchen/diner in this house so have effectively gained a spare zone (used to have a zone in each room), and leaving it off the network for a while should force the lease to renew (hopefully). I'll try another power down/up in the proper order when I get a chance too.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
The_Lhc said:

I'm ploughing through their forums at the moment. I could try wiring the 120 if push comes to shove, but it's my only amplified ZP so speakers would be more the issue.

I'm not talking about permanently, just to see if the issue goes away.

mrmusicman

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I know this is a very old link. I have the same problem with my ZP100. Drops from network, freezes, buttons don't respond. Reboot works for a short time, then do it all over again. Definetly not a network issue, as determined by tech support. And, not eligible for replacement since I bought it used.

Did you ever get to the root problem? Cost of repair?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts