Sonos or not Sonos?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

So I can buy:

Play:5 + Bridge for £194

Play:3 + bridge for £149

Connect:Amp for £199

Connect for £139.50

So people seem to think that a) The Sonos is a good system and b) The best buy here is the Play:5 + Bridge. With an alternative option of getting the connect and getting a decent set of speakers but this would be much more expensive.

Is the Connect:amp a good option or better for just the Connect? I guess it depends on which speakers you are connecting but in terms of considering what to buy, cost vs value.

jimmy.cross

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
ChildofChaos said:
So I can buy:

Play:5 + Bridge for £194

Play:3 + bridge for £149

Connect:Amp for £199

Connect for £139.50

Where can you buy the Sonos connect for £139?? It is an interesting price for sure.

A

Anonymous

I work for a company that retails Sono's equipment so they have put this offer on. :)

Thanks for all the input so far! So I am now considering, If i should go the connect/connect:amp route or the play:5 route.

The setup choices I think have become something like this:

Play:5 + Bridge + Sonos Dock/Nas drive (300 pounds)

Connect:amp + Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 + Sonos Dock / NAs Drive (400 pounds)

I was browsing around the What HiFi site and I saw these Wharfedale speakers have a great review and you can pick them up for pretty cheap at the moment. I assume the Connect:amp would be a better buy than the Connect due to the discount I can get, which means I can get non powered speakers saving me money on that front.

I am still undecided but I like the idea of possibly having a stereo pair of speakers rather than just an all in one system. I am making a big assumption that the Connect:amp + speakers would be better than a single Play:5 and also these that I have picked would work together.

However I like the simpliciy of the Play:5, one thing I am considering is buying that package now with the possiblity of buying another Play:5 at a later date to run a stereo pair, although total cost for this system would be quite high as the other play:5 would need to be bought at full price, making that 350 and the system then is very expensive in total cost and I am not sure if that would be good value in terms of the quality it would give (650 pounds total cost). The added bonus of an extra Sono's Play:5 though is portabilty, as I could then move this around the house if I needed as a seperate speaker at a later date, although these are quite large, so it's almost as if a set of play:3's would be better?

I am also considering adding a NAS drive to my network, holding my iTunes library on there and getting the Sono's to use that as a source rather than my iPod vs the Dock.

My router is not that far away from where the Sono's system is going to be so maybe I could run a large ethernet cable under the carpet if I go the Connect route to where it is going to be, so I don't have to buy a bridge.

As a note I revisited the Play:5 demo unit in store and I noticed that the Play:5 seemed a little unstable where it was mounted to the display. I noticed sound quality improvement when I pressed the unit down harder onto the surface, which seemed a lot better.

So much to decide!! :help:

Any of these options will suit well. Play:5 offers portability while connect:amp + speakers will have better stereo image & superior sound. Get both! :)

Also, please note House rule no: 10

10. Manufacturers, retailers, service providers and their staff are required to identify themselves as such in their signature. ‘Trade’ members of the forum failing to meet these conditions will be removed, as will those the moderators suspect to be trade members posting under an alias.

http://www.whathifi.com/house-rules

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ChildofChaos said:
I am making a big assumption that the Connect:amp + speakers would be better than a single Play:5

No, that isn't a big assumption at all, the Connect:amp and speakers is always going to outperform the Play:5, particularly with something like the Wharfdales.

and also these that I have picked would work together.

Yeah they'll be fine.

I am also considering adding a NAS drive to my network, holding my iTunes library on there and getting the Sono's to use that as a source rather than my iPod vs the Dock.

That's a lot more flexible, once you go multi-room, with the dock you can only play one stream at any time (because the iPod can't output multiple streams), with a NAS you can have as many as you like. Of course that may not be of any use to you.

My router is not that far away from where the Sono's system is going to be so maybe I could run a large ethernet cable under the carpet if I go the Connect route to where it is going to be, so I don't have to buy a bridge.

That's correct but the Bridge is only £39 and can be useful for extending coverage, it doesn't just have to be used wired to the router.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
Also, please note House rule no: 10

10. Manufacturers, retailers, service providers and their staff are required to identify themselves as such in their signature. ‘Trade’ members of the forum failing to meet these conditions will be removed, as will those the moderators suspect to be trade members posting under an alias.

Thanks for the information. I do not work for Sonos or am I affiliated with a company that will lead me to recommend any particular equipment/retailer to anyone. However where I work has strict policies about me mentioning where I work on Forums or Social networking, my employer does not allow me to disclose this information as they do not want any discussions/thoughts etc to be connected to the company. This is a sackable offence and the company actively enforces it by searching out such posts. I hope this doesn't break any rules here. As of the moment this thread is the only one I will likely participate in and that is simply for advice.

A

Anonymous

I work for a computer repair centre that is owned by a parent company that retails Consumer electronic items including Sono's.

Haha ;P

Signature created accordingly - Mods.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to gatecrash your post ChildofChaos but I wonder if your respondees might be able to help me too - along similar lines?

We’ve just refurbished a room and we’re looking at the possibility of changing our hifi arrangements. Currently a very good Sony system – amplifier, CD deck and radio with Bose speakers and bass but all a bit bulky.

We’ve been looking at the Sonos as a possibility. We want to keep the Bose speakers and bass and, possibly the amplifier. That leads us to the Sonos Connect version. However, it needs a bridge for the Sonos to be connected to the wifi router. No big deal in itself except that the Sony Centre is suggesting the bridge should not be more than 20 feet from the Sonos Connect which also means the wifi router cannot be far away. To help to optimise bandwidth (in an area that doesn’t have good bandwidth), we actually have the wifi router in the loft which is the nearest point to the external BT cable – it means it has the first call on data coming in and going out of the house without the possibility of “interference” from any telephone extensions. That being the case, the Sony Centre is suggesting a series of bridges extending downwards from the loft to the Sonos Connect – as many as it might take to provide the link.

Now that all seems a bit daft to me.

Any thoughts?

Each Sonos component has a range similar to wifi range. So if your wifi signal reaches that room, even Sonos should. Generally, the maximum range of Sonos components is 50-100 feet.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/309/~/music-drops-out-or-sonos-displays-%22network-connection-speed-insufficient-to

A

Anonymous

Certainly my iPad and Windows phone pick up the wifi signal in that room. Thanks.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I had a S5 (aka PLAY 5) in the kitchen which sounded plain awful so I sold it. Yet I've got a PLAY 3 in one of the bedrooms and it is noticeably better. Really nice.

They do seem to vary quite a bit depending on placement and room dynamics.

I've come to the conclusion that my kitchen is best left an equipment free zone. As my living room is next to the kitchen I just crank that one up, sounds better to me.

So what I'm saying is the demo set up could have been poor and you need to test it in situ. If you decide to sell the PLAY 5 on you will make a profit. I just got £250 for my 18 month old S5

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I had a S5 (aka PLAY 5) in the kitchen which sounded plain awful so I sold it. Yet I've got a PLAY 3 in one of the bedrooms and it is noticeably better. Really nice.

They do seem to vary quite a bit depending on placement and room dynamics.

Bearing that in mind did you think to try the Play:5 somewhere else? Could you describe the problem with the sound in a bit more detail? Presumably whoever bought it from you wasn't disappointed?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lhc

Yes I briefly tried it elsewhere and it was excellent. It was just the kitchen was where it needed to be. Every other room was sorted. So it had to go.

I'm not exactly an expert on analysing/describing sound. It was almost as though the life was being sucked out of it. If I turned the volume up or if a particular track had alot of bass it all got very boomy. It wasn't pleasant listening.

A couple of years ago, I'd probably have thought it ok. But not now.

I can't see me ever having a system in the kitchen again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts