Sonos or not Sonos?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I am not an audiophile but I am a huge music lover, so I am seeking your advice.

I currently listen to all my music via my Mac and some fairly basic Logitech Z4 speakers.

Music is a large part of my life.I don't have a TV, when I get up I listen to music, when I get home from work I listen to music and when I am doing something else I am generally listening to music. My music posion of choice is Rock/Metal. I own a 160gb iPod Classic which holds my music collection.

I have been considering a Sonos system for some time as I am wanting a dedicated music system free from the computer. Through my employer I have the offer of buying a Play:5 + Bridge, Connect, or Connect:Amp at half price.

I have no desire right now for multi room, this is cool as a possible future additional but I really honestly don't picture a time I will ever need it.

What I like is the idea of being able to via the seperate ipod dock, is to come home, dock my ipod and then be able to access all my music via my Phone (Nokia Lumia 800, I belive there are third party sonos apps) or my Android tablet.

My iPod then becomes the hub of all music, it is sync'ed with itunes on my Mac and then I can take all my music away for me for portabilty and then when home have access to it all via Sono's.

In my research I have not really found anything else that does this. Normal Ipod docks would require me to walk over to the dock and use the click wheel to go through all my music. Not ideal.

I have read online great reviews about Sonos sound quality, however I tested out a Play:5 in the store and it sounded awful. Like it could even be a step down from even my currect extremely budget system in terms of sound. At first I thought it was just the poor music on the demo unit so I connected my iPod via the line in and it was still terrible sounding. I wasn't really impressed at all.

Even thought he half price offer, with the iPod dock this would still work out at about 300 pounds for the whole system (Play:5, bridge and dock) I am concerned of spending that much money on something that doesn't work so great.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I've not heard a play:5 myself but I've never heard anyone say they sound "terrible" and the WHF review was reasonably impressive, could you elaborate? If it's a lack of bass there was an issue a few years back with dry solder joints in the bass speaker connections which led to a complete lack of bass, I would think that's been resolved by now though (I'd hope so, you don't really see anyone mentioning it on the Sonos forum these days).

Sonos DOES work, it's about the most flawless wireless system there is, there is one caveat though, Sonos has actually discontinued their iPod dock, the WD100, and has no current plans to replace it, so if you can still get one you'll probably need to be quick.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Sonos is a great system, easy to install, easy to use. The sound quality of my play 5 is ok for the kitchen. If you spend more money you can add a sub which improves sound quality substantially. The ZP 90 has to be used with a DAC to get the best out of it. The system all in all is very reliable and you will get what you pay for.

Needless to say though that Sonos cannot compete with a high end streamer from Naim or Linn.

scene

One thought about the quality of the sound on the Sonos in store: What were the source files they were using? Were they lossless rips, or 128K MP3s? If the latter, they could well sound awful.

If you connected your iPod via the line-in, you will get your iPod MP3s (?) sent to the sonos via the iPod's DAC and then amplified - which isn't the best quality sound in my experience. For a fairer comparison, use the iPod dock.

Personally I rip to Apple lossless using iTunes and send these to the Sonos (albeit from a NAS, but that's a nicety of convenience, not quality) and when I synch to my iPad (or Mrs. scene's iPod) is get iTunes to convert to 128k MP3. I wouldn't send my mp3s directly to the Sonos, why would I?

I use ZP90s (aka Sonos:Connects) to connect to my stereo systems, and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between playing the music directly from CD. The play:5s are in the bedrooms and sound as good as (if not better) than most docking systems I've used - probably because the music is sourced from lossless, rather than lower bitrate rips to be fair - and I get the convenience of internet radio and an alarm clock...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
If you connected your iPod via the line-in, you will get your iPod MP3s (?) sent to the sonos via the iPod's DAC and then amplified - which isn't the best quality sound in my experience. For a fairer comparison, use the iPod dock.

Just for clarity's sake the Sonos dock takes a digital feed from the iPod, so will bypass any issues with the iPod's analogue stage.

scene

The_Lhc said:
scene said:

Just for clarity's sake the Sonos dock takes a digital feed from the iPod, so will bypass any issues with the iPod's analogue stage.

Yes, sorry - should have said this, but the OP was using line-in from the iPod, not the Sonos dock in store.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
The_Lhc said:
scene said:

Yes, sorry - should have said this, but the OP was using line-in from the iPod, not the Sonos dock in store.

I know, I just to make it clear to him that the dock wouldn't be limited by the SQ of the iPod line-out. I'd still like to know exactly what he thought was "terrible" about the Play:5 though.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I now have to consider if I'd go for a cheap NAS drive and have my iTunes on there since they discountined the dock but I really like the idea of the dock.

To answer questions about sound quality, it just didn't seem that clear, it seemed rather deep from what I can remember.

scene

ChildofChaos said:
Thanks for the info. I now have to consider if I'd go for a cheap NAS drive and have my iTunes on there since they discountined the dock but I really like the idea of the dock.

You can still get the docks (they're listed on the Sonos UK website shop as limited quantities) - I suspect they're going to upgrade them for the new iPhone connectors (my opinion only), so hence the lack of availability...

To answer questions about sound quality, it just didn't seem that clear, it seemed rather deep from what I can remember.

I have found with my S5 (play:5) that if they're back in a corner, or on a particularly resonant surface they can get a bit boomy - probably a combination of resonance and the rear port. As for lack of clarity: I've not noticed this, except when I tried to play some low bitrate music.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
ChildofChaos said:

You can still get the docks (they're listed on the Sonos UK website shop as limited quantities) - I suspect they're going to upgrade them for the new iPhone connectors (my opinion only), so hence the lack of availability...

Apparently not, according to reports from their forum, announcements seem to suggest there's no replacement coming.

Ah, this is what I was looking for.

scene

BenLaw said:
kungula said:
The ZP 90 has to be used with a DAC

Sonos cannot compete with a high end streamer from Naim or Linn.

I actually find the SQ excellent without a DAC, but if used with a (suitably high end) DAC, why can it not compete with a high end streamer?

I agree, but to be fair to the poster, the Sonos supports a maximum sample rate of 48KHz, whereas the Naim and Linn streamers support up to 24 bit/192KHz - so with suitable sources material they will offer a more audiophile solution.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
scene, that is certainly true what you say. But I was just comparing 48 Khz to 48 KHZ and my Naim is by far better than Sonos.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I recently heard a Play:5 and wasn't terribly impressed with it either. That may have been due to me expecting too much from it though. I haven't really been that impressed with any docks either. I feel that a decent pair of PC/powered speakers does a far better job, for my uses at least.

OP, what iPod do you have?

I think if multi-room isn't a priority to you, Sonos is rather expensive for what it offers. I keep trying to sell myself a Sonos system, but I keep thinking of better ways to spend the money. I appreciate you're getting it at a good deal though, and you could sell it on if it didn't suit.

A

Anonymous

I have an iPod classic.

Really I guess i'm looking at creating something I always envisioned as being a "digital jukebox" where I can easily access and play all my music in my room. The Sono's system seems the closest I have seen to creating that.

I could also buy a connect / connect:amp but even at half price these seem over priced compared to the Play:5 as from my understanding it is the same thing minus the amp/speakers yet has a higher price.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, just noticed you'd said you had the 160gb Classic :oops: I was just thinking that if you had a Touch, you could have added an Apple TV.

Are you trying to avoid having a TV on, or would you consider some sort of media player?

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't mind having to turn on a TV, but that would require me also buying a TV to add to the setup as I currently do not own a one.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you're not a fan of the Play:5, why not get the Connect and a set of powered speakers (e.g. the Audioengine A2s or Epoz Aktimate Micros)? With the Connect, you also get a line input you can connect to it, which negates the requirement for the dock i.e. iPod could just plug into this, or you could use it for something else in the future.

Whilst logically I think there must be another way to do what you want to do, I'm struggling to think of something simple (i.e. without hacking about with 3rd party apps that may or may not work). Plus the Sonos solution does give you flexibility for the future (multi-room, NAS devices etc.) and also gives you access to internet radio and Spotify if you're interested (I use mine for this far more than I'd originally anticipated).

A

Anonymous

Oh!! I am really loving the look of those Epoz Aktimate Micros in red!

That would really fit in with the look I am going for with the room.

It's a shame a little on the price front by the time you fact in the Sono's equipment and the slight Frankenstien of a system it creates as I see you it already has a iPod dock built in. If only you could wirelessly control it somehow! :(

Also pricing of the packages I have with the discount is for a Sonos play bundle with Bridge or a Connect on it's own. Meaning I'd have to buy a Sonos bridge at full price, putting the Connect option almost at the same price as a Play:5. Could you power these speakers from a Play:5, it looks like the only output is a headphone jack, I'm guessing this wouldn't be a very good idea to use it this way?

If the Play:5 could somehow power something like these then that would be a good option as I could just buy the Play:5 since it is about the same cost and if i wasn't happy upgrade with some better speakers, but it doesn't seem to have much in terms of outputs.

Also if I went the connect route, It does seem that the Wireless dock has ethernet, so maybe I could wirte this into the connect, then I wouldn't need a Sono's Bridge? Having the dock not be wireless is not a big issue.

A

Anonymous

It's a shame a little on the price front by the time you fact in the Sono's equipment and the slight Frankenstien of a system it creates as I see you it already has a iPod dock built in. If only you could wirelessly control it somehow! :(

Also pricing of the packages I have with the discount is for a Sonos play bundle with Bridge or a Connect on it's own. Meaning I'd have to buy a Sonos bridge at full price, putting the Connect option almost at the same price as a Play:5. Could you power these speakers from a Play:5, it looks like the only output is a headphone jack, I'm guessing this wouldn't be a very good idea to use it this way?

If the Play:5 could somehow power something like these then that would be a good option as I could just buy the Play:5 since it is about the same cost and if i wasn't happy upgrade with some better speakers, but it doesn't seem to have much in terms of outputs.

Also if I went the connect route, It does seem that the Wireless dock has ethernet, so maybe I could wirte this into the connect, then I wouldn't need a Sono's Bridge? Having the dock not be wireless is not a big issue.

A

Anonymous

It's a shame a little on the price front by the time you fact in the Sono's equipment and the slight Frankenstien of a system it creates as I see it already has a iPod dock built in. If only you could wirelessly control it somehow! :(

Also if I went the connect route, It does seem that the Wireless dock has ethernet, so maybe I could wire this into the connect, then I wouldn't need a Sono's Bridge? Having the dock not be wireless is not a big issue.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not sure on the dock, but with the Connect, you can just connect this direct into router - no need for a bridge. So I assume the dock would then communicate with this on the Sonos wireless network. I have two Connects (or ZP90s as they were called when I bought them) - one is plugged into the router and plays into the living room system, the other is in the kitchen and has some Audioengine A2s plugged into it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts