Sonos Options

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
There are a few deals around on Sonos equipment; they seem to be selling off the old named stock so been thinking about picking some up. My question is for a bedroom or possibly a kitchen how do you think the sound quality of the S5/Play 5 would compete against a ZP120 with a pair of cheap speakers.

For arguments sake let’s say:

Connect Amp with Wharfdale Diamonds 9 (approx £370)

Play 5 (£302)

Sonos Connect with Audioengine A2 (£377)

Obviously there are lots of combinations but with prices fluctuating now seems a good time! I would mainly be listening to spotify, net radio and streamed music from my PC.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You'll get a far better stereo image from the ZP120 and speakers, which pretty much goes without saying and it gives you upgrade options in the future if you find you don't like the sound of the speakers you've got.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Kitchen or kitchen diner? If it's a kitchen then you're mainly standing and moving around so the standalone unit will be perfectly good imo. If it's a diner then there's more chance of you sitting down and benefitting from the better sound that the seperates will give.

Maybe two P3's would give you flexibility?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
We've got a Play 5 in the utility and a pair of MA Radius 90HDs in the kitchen running off a ZP120 (also driving Missions in the dining room with a switch). Obviously the ZP120 offers better separation etc etc but the sound is very pleasing in both rooms. As already observed you will have an upgrade path for speakers with the ZP120 but you could always just move the Play 5 on to a different location when you want to upgrade ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts