Sonos Connect (ZP90) + Arcam irDAC / Arcam CDS27 confused..

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I've got Sonos system at home (Connect currently connected to Yamaha reciever) and was planning to buy Arcam irDAC + Arcam A19 to decouple my music system from TV.

I must say that Sonos + Spotify is my main source of music these days - so simple - but I was hoping that with irDAC and Sonos Connect I should be able to stream better quality music from my home NAS through the same Sonos interface - apps are so much better than remote control.

After reading a bit on the subject looks like Sonos doesn't currently support anything above 16bit/48kHz - is that true? So I guess irDAC in that setup is pretty useless unless I hook it up 'somehow' to another device that can play higher definition audio.

Then I bumbed onto new Arcam CDS27 (CD player is a plus) which looks like it might have been an answer if only it had diginal input which looks like it doesn't have. So I guess there is no way of connecting Sonos Connect to Arcam CDS27 to use it internal DAC but it's good to stream music straight from local NAS although no app just remote control.

Have I missed something here or is it really not straight forward to have system that can do both Spotify/Sonos & NAS high definition music + external DAC + mobile app (so you don't need to use remote)?

Thanks for any recommendations - by the way I was hoping not to spend more than £1k (Arcam A19 + irDac looked like a good combo)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You're correct, 16/48 is the maximum Sonos supports and is likely to stay that way for sometime. We could get into the whole discussion about how anything higher than CD resolution is pointless but that's been done to death, so I'd say you have two options:

1) Convert your 24-bit recordings to 16-bit for the Sonos to play, this is what I do whenever I get 24-bit audio (which isn't often admittedly), I create a 16/48 version for the Sonos, put that on my NAS and also a 320kbps mp3 version for my phone (my phone does support 24-bit FLAC as it happens but I don't have the space for it, mp3 is a good enough compromise for that). This at least has the benefit of being cheap (free!) but does require a little work from yourself.

2) Try a Bluesound Node, that supports 24-bit audio and works in a similar fashion to Sonos, although I've never tried it so I can't comment on whether the control app is as usable as Sonos. That is not free however and will be around £400 typically.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
So looks like Bluesound Node would really be the solution here although as you pointed out it's 400£ for the node vs 280£ for the Sonos Connect (also Pulse is 599£ vs Play 5 350£). The press release from September also says that they support Spotify Connect. Only one negative someone pointed out that Node is missing coax digital out - not sure how important that is.

But as replacing my Sonos system (don't want to have 2 different) would probably add too much to the equation plus I think that 400£ to send higher bit rate around the house is way too much, I will probably stick to my Sonos for now. I might actually buy extra Play 1 for my bedroom to get free Deezer for year as it streams 16/48 to Sonos!

To be honest I'm don't have many recordings in 24-bit I was more thinking about something future proof in case it becomes more popular. 16/48 is still CD quality so I guess adding separate DAC + stereo amp should improve the sound enough for my needs and irDAC supports high def audio if I ever decide to replace Sonos.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
madeinstein said:
So looks like Bluesound Node would really be the solution here although as you pointed out it's 400£ for the node vs 280£ for the Sonos Connect (also Pulse is 599£ vs Play 5 350£). The press release from September also says that they support Spotify Connect. Only one negative someone pointed out that Node is missing coax digital out - not sure how important that is.

Hmm, it appears to be missing any kind of digital output at all, hadn't realised that, means you can't add an external DAC of any sort.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I tried the irDAC with no disernable lift in sound quality with my Sonos.

I was tempted by the Bluesound but went for a CA Stream Magic 6v2 as it has upsampling technology and yes it has made a dirrerence to sound qaulity, i mainly use Spotify and it has Spotify connect built in so its a breeze to use.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Looks like it does have toslink, from the manual

'A digital optical cable (not included) can also
be used to connect the Node to equipment with a digital optical input.'

http://www.bluesound.com/wp_content/uploads/2013/11/Bluesound-NODE-Quickstartguide.pdf

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
boggit said:
I tried the irDAC with no disernable lift in sound quality with my Sonos.

I was tempted by the Bluesound but went for a CA Stream Magic 6v2 as it has upsampling technology and yes it has made a dirrerence to sound qaulity, i mainly use Spotify and it has Spotify connect built in so its a breeze to use.

Thanks for CA tip I'll have a look a this, looks interesting and good to know re irDAC. I expected Sonos+irdac+amp to be noticably better than sonos+amp.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Boggit just found your post re CA Stream Magic 6v2. From what you wrote there looks like CA wasn't considerably better at a time than just Sonos. Has anything changed in your setup since then as you suggested CA is the way to go.

Just asking as I'm thinking that maybe I should just buy amp for my Sonon Connect and skip the DAC completely? I think Arcam A19 should be considerably better than my current Yamaha av receiver anyway.

And on the separate note I also like Linn Majik DS/DSM but the budget doesn't allow for that at the moment :)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi madeinstein, i think i was trying to anaylise why the CA was better, but what i noticed i was just enjoying the music more much tighter bass and treble notes starting and stopping quicker and more richness. If you intend to spend £400 on a irdac you have budget. the important thing with the CA is it has upsampling tech and a good analog stage, Magna Audio in Holland can further improve it for 349 euros. There are a couple of Linn Majek DS they go for around £900 but no wifi or Spotify connect. The CA has both and can be used as a DAC. You can try the CA on 14 day home trial take it back if you dont like it. Or buy a modded Sonos Connect. The A19 should give you the bigger improvment though but then you will want to upgrade the source and on it goes! You have to love it though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts