Something missing visually...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My Arcam A32 is missing something. Nope, it's nothing to do with the sound as it's sublime now it's run in and set-up nicely. No, it's not a feature; the Arcam has more computer controlled madness than anyone could ever need (or want!) And no, I havn't lost a button or the remote...

What my Arcam needs is a nice vintage style wooden case. Yep. You heard me. A lovely wooden case!

I can hear you saying I'm mad...but I think it needs one!

So what material should I use (teak maybe?) and what joints should I use at the corners? I don't want a fancy dovetail or anything silly - just a joint which isn't visible and quite practical. And how would I attach it to the Arcam? Infact, how do the conventional ones work as I don't have one on my old JVC...

Anyway, all suggestions appreciated and no insults please...nothing wrong with a bit of 70s wood to cover one's £1200 amplifier! lol!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Absolutely with you hughes123. Just use an extra large diameter drill bit, something like an inch would do and drill into to the casing's side at your leisure. Don't be contempt with a couple of holes, do it proper and go for the machine gun bullet hole look.

Then find some drift wood, very classy and unusual. No need to sandpaper or anything like that, just slice it approximately and affix to the Arcam with some industrial size bolts and nuts.

Voila.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The problem is going to be ventilation. Even assuming you have the tools to make nice neat cut-outs for the top/bottom vents you are adding a layer of 'cladding' by wrapping it in wood.

Might I suggest a compromise? How about some wooden end 'cheeks'? (like the new Yamaha A-S1000/2000 amps.)

You have screws in the sides of the amp already. Take one to your local screws/fixings retailer (Screwfix or whatever) and get slightly longer ones with the same diameter and pitch that will look good countersunk into your chosen wood. (Maybe hex/allen versions that will look smarter.)

I would go for wood that has little chance of warping under any heat from the amp.

European/English, quarter sawn Oak would look nice and is suitable for joinery....

http://www.sykestimber.co.uk/timber/europeanoak.html

Give the finished items at least three coats of Acrylic gloss varnish with a rub-down with very fine glasspaper (240 grade) in between each coat.

A

Anonymous

chebby:The problem is going to be ventilation. Even assuming you have the tools to make nice neat cut-outs for the top/bottom vents you are adding a layer of 'cladding' by wrapping it in wood.

Might I suggest a compromise? How about some wooden end 'cheeks'? (like the new Yamaha A-S1000/2000 amps.)

You have screws in the sides of the amp already. Take one to your local screws/fixings retailer (Screwfix or whatever) and get slightly longer ones with the same diameter and pitch that will look good coutersunk into your chosen wood. (Maybe hex/allen versions that will look smarter.)

I would go for wood that has little chance of warping under any heat from the amp.

European/English, quarter sawn Oak would look nice and is suitable for joinery....

http://www.sykestimber.co.uk/timber/europeanoak.html

Many thanks, that is probably a much better idea - wooden end cheeks would be good as my CD player sits ontop of my amp anyway (I can hear the shouts of "blasphamy!" lol) nice wood too, i'll check it out!

Oh and Drummerman, Mr.Hughes says "There's a good job going down the butchers!"

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Try get your hands on some american walnut, wenge or jatoba.If your arcam is silver these exotic hardwoods will contrast it nicely.Just ask your friendly local hardwood floor store for a sample.It should be enough quantity wise for what you want.Post a pic when done.

A simple 45degree mitre would do the trick glued with some 'mitre mate' adhesive.

Good luck

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As BA says... 'I pity the fool...'

Leave your Arcam alone... If it was meant to have wood Arcam would have done that!

If you really need vintage wood appeal; go buy yourself the new Yamaha range!

Sacrilage haha :)

A

Anonymous

coolaboola:
Try get your hands on some american walnut, wenge or jatoba.If your arcam is silver these exotic hardwoods will contrast it nicely.Just ask your friendly local hardwood floor store for a sample.It should be enough quantity wise for what you want.Post a pic when done.

A simple 45degree mitre would do the trick glued with some 'mitre mate' adhesive.

Good luck

Thanks alot! I love that jatoba (is that very similar to Brazillian Cherry?) and I think a 45' mitre will do it nicely too!

Oh, and DAN, silver Arcams are so passe now - Arcam don't know what they're missing!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts