Some blighter dented my tweeter cone!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any of you guys attempted a repair on an aluminium tweeter cone? the cone has lost its 'point' and is now slightly concave instead of convex.

I considered superglue on a match stick to pull it out, but didn't fancy that, sounded a bit harsh. Perhaps using the suction of a hoover?

All opinions / ideas welcomed, i just leave the grills on at the moment, but it still bugs me slightly!

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I've never done this myself...

Sellotape is usually the recommended approach.

To be honest it's quite unlikely to affect the sound anyway.

A

Anonymous

ive used both methods before because depending on the type of tweeter/damage/material sometimes one method wont work so i used the other... i used duct tape instead of cellotape as its more adhesive. if you use the vacuum cleaner make sure you use a round plastic attachment with smooth edges and that you have the vent on the hose open (or failing that turn the vacs power right down). remember slowly and surely wins this race...

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, i'll have a go with some tape, sounds the least destructive!!!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Same thing happened on one of my Dali On-Walls and the approach I took was to lick my lips and plant a cheeky smacker on it, sucking it back out. Much more gentle than the aforementioned options. That's what I'd try. Best of luck and let us know if the little tweeter responds to your touch ;-)

A

Anonymous

Good grief, Man! Just imagine the missus walking in at the wrong moment! "Oh, hello Luv. I was, erm, just fixing the tweeter.". Never mind the front facing port.

A

Anonymous

The tweeter is in the centre of a larger driver (KEF Q5) no length of ammusing struggle worked to suck out the tweeter and selotape just didn't grip t enough, I think its an aluminium cone and I would think it needs alot of force to get it back out....Oh well on go the grills again!

I will try a hoover on it tonight if i'm feeling brave.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nealc"]
The tweeter is in the centre of a larger driver (KEF Q5)
[/quote]

Ah, you didn't tell us it was a Uni-Q. That will complicate matters. You could always call KEF's customer service people and see what they suggest...

A

Anonymous

I had the same problem to start with with the cellotape so i switched to gaffa/duct tape and it worked a treat. make sure you fold the tape into a loop so it has the maximum surface area to grip your tweeter with!

A

Anonymous

Have you removed the fingers of the 'blighter'

Prevention is better than the cure.

Back to the driver unit, some drivers with a tweeter in the middle have a hole in the magnet at the back of the speaker and sometimes you can poke through the hole onto the back of the tweeter.

Brent

A

Anonymous

hi there sorry to hear about your tweeter i work for kef and it really does need a new tweeter im afraid theres no way to repair it , they are not that much to replace and easy to change mark

A

Anonymous

If you have a hot melt glue gun glue a lolly stick or something similar to the dented in bit, carefully pull it out, then use a hair drier to melt the glue while carefully wiping it off with kitchen roll.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="markmla"]hi there sorry to hear about your tweeter i work for kef and it really does need a new tweeter im afraid theres no way to repair it , they are not that much to replace and easy to change mark[/quote]

I had the same problem with my B&W CM1 tweeter, a digit of a small child was the reason for the damage. I contacted B&W and they sent me a new tweeter which arrived the next day it cost about £45 and took about 10 mins to replace. Well worth it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts