some advice please on audiolab 8200cdq

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys just wanted some advice on the audiolab 8200 cdq before i get one. I need to down size my system to two or three boxes, my first thought is the 8200cdq with matching power amp or indeed keep my mono blocs, the advice i need is whether its possible to connect a laptop into the cdq to use as a tuner to save me splashing out on another one thus keeping my box count low, and also will the sound quality be any good ?? thanks guys

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The CDQ has digital inputs, 2 coax and 2 optical.

Not knowing your PC you may need some conversion to connect it to either the coax of optical input on the CDQ, when you have you will be able to use on-line radio and listen via your system.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As long as the radio stations you pick up can be sent from your laptop via USB or optical output, it'll sound great, depending on the bit rate of the station itself.

As for the power side, keep your monos. If you really want to drop a box, the 8200P will drive the CM1's fine.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The CA SM6 might work, but I don't know if you could connect your TT to it. A streamer/DAC/preamp combination would save having to have the Pc connected.

Having said that, a cheap dedicated nettop would sit nicely on top for streaming duties.

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Audioaddict,

I reckon the 8000Ms would sound pretty good with the 8200CDQ personally - I had mine hooked up to my old 8000P before trading that up and it sounded pretty fine, so I imagine the Ms would only be a step up. Apparently the 8200Ms do a great job, but at 2 grand that's quite an outlay when the 8000Ms probably wouldn't be all that far behind. Also, apparently the Quad 909 is a good match too.

As for hooking up your laptop, I hook up my Macbook Air via the USB input to listen to HD tracks and the iPlayer, so yes it's possible and sounds brilliant, although obv sound quality is going to depend on the quality of the broadcast. I normally listen to radio through my Sky HD box, connected via optical, so couldn't really comment on the internet quality, although the Sky is vastly superior to internet radio broadcasts of the same station when listened to through my Sonos ZP90.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts