Solid State NAS Drive

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any recommendations re solid state NAS drives?

My burget hovers around the £200 region and I presently have c. 180Gig of music... which is always growing.

I'd like to have an "always on" system which is why i'd tend to pot for solid state...

Cheers

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Best I could find on a quick look Gary £239.99 (no idea about the brand):

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/a/pc/5808213/id=5808213/&pr=qt1&cm_mmc=froogle-_-shopping-_-feed-_-5808213?_$ja=tsid:11227%7Ccc:%7Cprd:5808213%7Ccat:Hard+Disk+Drives

From what it says about they drives and their benifits here :

http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/feature/Making-the-move-to-solid-state-disk-drives-in-a-SAN-NAS

For music, pictures and such... you may be better off sticking with well made normal hard drives.

Paul.

For sustained reads, there is little benifits over a traditional fast drive. Also, any speed advantages will be eaten up by the bottle neck caused by the network connection. I guess it would use less power and be quiter but for the money it is probably not worth it.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It really wouldn't matter which SSD you get if its being used in a NAS, The main benifit would be the SSD reliabillity though you are giving up a lot of space and the extra costs for for the SSD.

Pick the largest and cheapest you can afford

A

Anonymous

Not solid state but it might fit the bill...

I bought a Buffalo Linkstation Mini 1TB which is two standard laptop hard drives in a little box. I went for this one because it doesn't contain a fan, so it's much quieter than my laptop.

Like I said it's not solid state, but it fulfils the other criteria. And my sonos plays happily with it :)

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
landzw said:
It really wouldn't matter which SSD you get if its being used in a NAS, The main benifit would be the SSD reliabillity though you are giving up a lot of space and the extra costs for for the SSD.

Pick the largest and cheapest you can afford

SSD's are no more reliable than HD's. The transfer speed of the NAS will almost certainly be limited by the network protocol, not the speed of the drives, so an SSD offers no benefit.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Looking at it AnotherJoe the guy even says he doesn't know what the failure rate is for SDD as there will be many people who can't use SDD due to aging tech or thought they may actually need a larger drive or even changed there minds, the actual list is long

After searching through about 10 different websites/Forums there does seem to be SSD failings but no one seems to know why, its possible for system updates that disagree with the SSD or could be another part of the computer which has failed and can no longer boot up (like i have had before)

Another suggestion seems to be heat issues or power spikes which are damaging the SSD, but no one seems to 100%

One quote of one website says "Intel has also published annual failure rates on roughly 800.000 sold SSDs, and from memory I seem to recall it was 0.4x%."

I think SSD can and do fail for reasons still unknown but the actual failure rate isn't that high if you took into account all the other possible reasons, not to mention most SSD are covered be a good guarantee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts