So who has pre-ordered a 4K blu-ray player then?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:
Leeps said:
Aside from the 'investment' (read 'expense') of a UHD Bluray player at £400-£600 and the 4k TV (with all the HDR, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 banners stuck on it), at current prices at least, do you really think the extra experience is worth another tenner per disc?

There are no sonic benefits to UHD Bluray (Atmos and DTS-X are possible on 1080p Blurays), and over the course of a year say, you could buy an awful lot more HD Blurays for the same cost.  Maybe the pricing at present is out there to take advantage of the 'must have the latest kit now' brigade (no offence Gel, but you'd probably admit you're one of them) and the cost may come down to something more reasonable in time.  But £25 a shot?  Ouch!  Actually for the same price you could buy the HD Bluray AND go to the cinema and save the extra cost of the hardware (although you would have to sit in the cinema on your own for the tenner saved, maybe that's not so appealing after all).

The one thing I did find interesting about the new format however is the Region-Free encoding.  Maybe the powers that be eventually realised the only way it might catch on in the light of streaming's increasing popularity is to stop the regional silliness.  Although the caveat to that is that if your UHD disc comes with a standard HD disc, then the HD disc bundled with it will NOT be region-free.

The biggest advantage of UHD isn't the resolution, it's HDR capability. So I can see how people will find the difference significant when compared to blu ray.

yes but surely you will need a tv that is compliant to the new HDR standard to realise that advantage?

Of course.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
FennerMachine said:
If my TV breaks I'll get it fixed.
Good luck with that! :)

You'll find that buying a new TV will be far cheaper that repairing it, it's crazy I know!

I know.

I repair computers and know people who repair TV's.

I'll still get it fixed.

I looked at a possible replacement a few years ago but no TV's have the same features.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello FennerMachine,

You sound like a man with strong views about the merits of his television! Out of curiosity, what features and connections does your present 7-year-old Samsung have that more modern televisions lack? The only two that I can think of are a D-sub connector for receiving a VGA signals from a computer, and having several Scart sockets. Both of those can be worked around quite simply, but I'll not elaborate how in case I'm completely wrong about them!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My TV has:

HDMI, VGA, component, RGB, S-Video (all needed or wanted) and composite (not needed).

Adaptors could mean I could use just HDMI on a newer TV, but what does a Sega Mega Drive or Sega Saturn look like on a 1080p or 4K TV? I would also need a more powerful graphics card in my PC to handle higher native resolutions.

My TV has a size and resolution that suits my room.

Too much larger and I would need to rearrange other equipment, higher resolution means some games would be unplayable due to writing being too small at the distance I sit.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Series1boy said:
my point is this; streaming 4K will not work on the majority of broadband connections.

Works fine on our 150 megabit/sec unlimited data cable internet which only costs me 40 quid a month - nah-nah-na-nah-nah :)

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
might pop into richer sounds for a demo next saturday and ask for a discount. otherwise i'll wait. not paying £429
I got my Panasonic for £500. Always ask for 10 per cent off at least.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It doesnt matter when you buy there is always something else round the corner with the 12 month life span of most av products.

If you pay more for it early and use it a lot - do you get a better £ per hour usage than someone who waits 2 years and pays lots less? I bet it would be about the same. The content quality is more the issue - how much new content will they release in UHD - will it be all new films - if so then its worth it - dont really want to be spinning new blu ray releases on it ideally becasue its a waste

Bigger question is can you live with a Samsung or Panny player - my experience of panny players has never been that impressed with them, Samsung is getting a biit of flack already for an expensive "cheap" player

How long will it take Oppo to release one being the one everyone wants really ?? any ideas

I've had a Panasonic blu ray player for 5 years. Was flawless throughout. In my experience, Sony, Panasonic and Oppo have the least issues due to excellent manufacturer support with regards to firmware updates etc.

Oppo has plans, but nothing firm yet. I'm sure they'll announce something before Christmas, or early next year.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have to say the Panasonic blu-Ray player I had for a week was really good. Just a pity it didn't have two HDMI outputs. Not sure why you are waiting for Oppo. This one has been reviewed and it's great.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Series1boy said:
my point is this; streaming 4K will not work on the majority of broadband connections.

Works fine on our 150 megabit/sec unlimited data cable internet which only costs me 40 quid a month - nah-nah-na-nah-nah :)

exakery.... You have the download speed and at a fantastic cheap price, unlike the outrageous costs we have pay back over here for the 10th of the speed you have.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just has a call from BestAVDeals and they said I could've the Samsung for £429 delivered next week or £399 if I wait a week or two. Turned both down I am waiting for the Panasonic at £500.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
Couldn't you buy both, then compare them, and just keep the best?
2 of them, I was tempted and it did cross my mind, but no.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gel said:
Just has a call from BestAVDeals and they said I could've the Samsung for £429 delivered next week or £399 if I wait a week or two.  Turned both down I am waiting for the Panasonic at £500.  

Hi there

Many thanks for your enquiry with Best AV Deals.

We’ve not heard of any plans for a price drop on the Samsung UBD-K8500 player, so we aren’t sure where the information you’ve heard has come from.

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
gel said:
Just has a call from BestAVDeals and they said I could've the Samsung for £429 delivered next week or £399 if I wait a week or two. Turned both down I am waiting for the Panasonic at £500.

Hi there

We’ve not heard of any plans for a price drop on the Samsung UBD-K8500 player, so we aren’t sure where the information you’ve heard has come from.
Thats what the guy who was dealing with the pre-orders said.

D

Deleted member 2457

Perhaps it was just for the ones who pre-ordered it.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:

Hi there

i spoke to them and i can also get a £399 price in 1-2 weeks. i am also awaiting richer sounds to ring me about possible discount so see which price will be the best for me.

D

Deleted member 2457

I just heard from Nick that I will be getting my Panasonic player slightly later on Friday or Monday next week because Panasonic have forgot to wrap the free discs with the player!

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:

Hi there

i spoke to them and i can also get a £399 price in 1-2 weeks. i am also awaiting richer sounds to ring me about possible discount so see which price will be the best for me.
*good*

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
spoke to richer sounds and gonna go in tomorrow once the player's setup, have a demo and talk about a discount. hopefully will knock it down to 400 so i can take it home there and then! then go hmv straight after and get kingsman (if it's £20) hopefully same price as amazon.

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
spoke to richer sounds and gonna go in tomorrow once the player's setup, have a demo and talk about a discount. hopefully will knock it down to 400 so i can take it home there and then! then go hmv straight after and get kingsman (if it's £20) hopefully same price as amazon.
I hear the Kingsman is a good disc. I might pop into my local Richer Sounds and do the same, well have a demo at least. I will give them a call now. Ta.

TRENDING THREADS