so if you had 10k to spend...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daytona600

Unfortunately, for me speakers are not possible, so I'm on closed back headphones. Not enough space and the wife doesn't share my taste in music, nor my liking for it to be fairly loud. So, 10 grand would buy a damned good DAC, headphone amp and headphones.
Headphones rigs can out perform speakers systems at 5-20 times the price , shade over OPs £10k budget
Tablet + DCS bartok dac/headphone amp + Hedd AMT Heddphones Reference sound quality

D

Deleted member 188516

Question is far too difficult. Some people on here will struggle to understand CD player, some will struggle to understand new and other will struggle to understand speakers.

maybe you could help them out then with a system suggestion ?!

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
In my experience of doing lots of reviews on my site, I’d go with half on the amps And speakers or an active pair combining both and the rest on a DAC around a grand and very budget streamer like an Allo DigiOne. i think many systems will sound pretty similar at around £10k so lots of ways of doing it.

D

Deleted member 188516

In my experience of doing lots of reviews on my site, I’d go with half on the amps And speakers or an active pair combining both and the rest on a DAC around a grand and very budget streamer like an Allo DigiOne. i think many systems will sound pretty similar at around £10k so lots of ways of doing it.

would this advice change if only playing cd's ?

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
would this advice change if only playing cd's ?

the problem with a transport or a CD player with internal dac is that the cd disc is still a conduit for the DAC, and I would always advocate trying to keep the DAC seperate If you do want to keep upgrading, because DACs are the things that keep getting better relative to the source and considering many speakers and amplifiers of some time ago can compete with what’s around now. (Maybe not same at price but on performance). If you had 10k to spend then cut out the CD player as you want to put most into the front end speakers and amps , DAC then cheap source, to get most sq return. That’s most sensible I think.

D

Deleted member 188516

the problem with a transport or a CD player with internal dac is that the cd disc is still a conduit for the DAC, and I would always advocate trying to keep the DAC seperate If you do want to keep upgrading, because DACs are the things that keep getting better relative to the source and considering many speakers and amplifiers of some time ago can compete with what’s around now. (Maybe not same at price but on performance). If you had 10k to spend then cut out the CD player as you want to put most into the front end speakers and amps , DAC then cheap source, to get most sq return. That’s most sensible I think.

understood. thanks for the detailed reply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts