So apparently the new Oppo 203 4K Blu Ray player could cost £699-£750!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got an email from oppo saying it ships in 2-3 days in the states at $549 can order straight away but to USA only Dolby vision by firmware update in 2017 it appears we all got the same email!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Andy Clough said:
We are seeing on average 5-10% price increases coming through from quite a few manufacturers since the drop in the value of Sterling.

But are British manufacturers dropping their prices in the rest of the World to reflect this? (no). When the pound recovers, will manufacturers drop their prices? (No). Did manufactureres also put their prices up in 2015, 2014, 2013? (Yes). Is Bexit just an excuse for excess profiteering? (Yes).
When I used to work in the commercial department of one the World's largest offshore and subsea construction contractors, I used to (half) joke there were no "minus" keys on our calculators. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose (with apologies in advance to the pedants for missing French squiggles above or below the letters).

D

Deleted member 2457

Just paid Frank Harvey £599 for the Oppo but the official price is £650. It needs a firmware update too and Frank Harvey are saying that it is done through USB so Frank Harvey have said they will do the firmware update for me. There are some reports that it can be done via the internet but I am not sure whether this is over the antenna or just wirelessly like the Samsung and Panasonic players?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Oppo's US website has them listed as USD549.00, but they're out of stock. Orders re-open on December 16th. When they'll get deilivered I have no idea.

At $1.21 to the Pound, that would make the UK price GBP453.72 plus VAT, GBP544.46 total. But imported home electronics attract a 12.2% import tariff, so that would make the price GBP509.07 including VAT.

So GBP550 to 600 seems to be about thr right price.

D

Deleted member 2457

Getting mine delivered tomorrow with the firmware update on.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Mine is being delivered tomorrow as well, but wont get chance to messaround with it until friday or Saturday as out tomorrow night with works xmas party!

D

Deleted member 2457

Ian986 said:
Mine is being delivered tomorrow as well, but wont get chance to messaround with it until friday or Saturday as out tomorrow night with works xmas party!
thumbs_up.gif
I will report back on mine in a bit.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
gel said:
Getting mine delivered tomorrow with the firmware update on.

Returning it tomorrow afternoon?
Only if there is something wrong with it, like the Panasonic couldn't play DVDs full screen!

D

Deleted member 2457

Just set it up and played Da Vinci code 4K Blu Ray and Batman versus Superman and it looks awesome! The Oppo remote has a HDR button and you can switch it on and off and you can really see the difference! It's pretty big to be honest, I thought it would be small but it's not.

D

Deleted member 2457

DVDs play full screen when you switch the settings on wide. Blu-rays look great, it's a keeper!

D

Deleted member 2457

Just playing The Martian now and you can hear the player quite a bit when the volume is down. I would say just as noisy as the Samsung.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Gel

I am pretty sure the answer is no but are there any web based streaming solutions on the oppo likle netflix?

Thanks
. Can't see any on the remote on in the menu setup.

D

Deleted member 2457

abacus said:
£649 at Richer Sounds http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/oppo/udp203/oppo-udp-203-blk

Gel

I am surprised the Oppo is as noisy as the Samsung, (Which is as cheap and nasty as you can get) I would have thought it would be the same or quieter than the Panasonic, (Which is virtually silent) are you sure it's not the disc thats noisy.

Bill
Just tried it again and it's only noisy when loading discs up. I am sure yesterday it was more noisy but not today.

D

Deleted member 2457

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5571/31305703720_a4f3600241_z_d.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I really wish this player did 4k netflix etc as well nevermind - next one they will release I am sure will have everything inc 4k darbee

D

Deleted member 2457

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/639/30836817354_54c3ec5362_z_d.jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
I really wish this player did 4k netflix etc as well nevermind - next one they will release I am sure will have everything inc 4k darbee
Its a hell of a player mate.

TRENDING THREADS