Snake oil

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

Vladimir said:
Reasoning with cable believers is like explaining a trendy woman that a bag is a functional carrier object and appearance and brand is irrelevant for its function, in matter of fact it can hurt its functionality.

It's like arguing with a religious person.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Thompsonuxb

:rofl:

Well let me enlighten you by saying i've currently got a system set up which consists of an Audiolab 8200AP, Plinius Odean, Monitor Audio PL200, PLC150, PL100 and JL Audio Fathom f212 and two E-112's. Cables being used are basic interconnects with standard 79 and 500 strand OFC speaker cables. The system sounds sublime
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Whenever a hifi shop assistant tries to sell me overpriced cables or any other foo products they lose all credibility and I take my money elsewhere. Based on your honest approach regarding cables, if I were in the market for a new HiFi I'd be more than happy to visit your shop for a demo.

+1

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Alec said:
Vladimir said:
Reasoning with cable believers is like explaining a trendy woman that a bag is a functional carrier object and appearance and brand is irrelevant for its function, in matter of fact it can hurt its functionality.

FENDI%2BSS2011%2BCRUISE%2BINOX%2BCOLLECTION.JPG

Tsk. Those silly little ladies and their refusal to just use bin bags, eh? Cuh! Utter madness!

Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFpOp8Ft0Q

@Vladimir Am enjoying your intelligent comments with a bit of humor on the side. 8)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Really?.. Is this thread a joke..?.. Cables dnt make much difference thats why this will never end. Same patterns. Same people for, & same old people against.|(

I'm not old. :shame: I have no idea who the Stone Temple Pilots are.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
@Vladimir Am enjoying your intelligent comments with a bit of humor on the side. 8)

Is it because I keep misspelling 'gauge' as 'gague'?

Well... According to the Urban Dictionary this is the definition of 'gague':

A guy whose sexuality is hard to pin down. Is he gay or is he straight? He's gague.

Conclusion: If you can't pin down differences between cables, they might be gague.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Nope, that wasn't it. I'm a lazy son of a ***** and I certainly wouldn't Google potentially misspelled words to seek out whether there is a deeper meaning attached to them.

I do like the word 'gague' though :cheer:

TrevC

Broner said:
Nope, that wasn't it. I'm a lazy son of a ***** and I certainly wouldn't Google potentially misspelled words to seek out whether there is a deeper meaning attached to them.

How is oil extracted from a snake?

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
Broner said:

How is oil extracted from a snake?

Dunno, probably the same way tape is extracted from ducks.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
One man's snake oil is another's meat and drink.

Personally, I've always enjoyed fiddling around with cables and interconnects to hear the differences in sound.

There's also the pride of ownership aspect - I don't mind paying top dollar for a well-made cable that looks as good as it sounds.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Singslinger said:
There's also the pride of ownership aspect - I don't mind paying top dollar for a well-made cable that looks as good as it sounds.

don't mean to sound rash, but how can you have pride of ownership on a good looking cable nobody, including yourself would see, unless you keep all your equipment back to front? :?

TrevC

Singslinger said:
One man's snake oil is another's meat and drink. Personally, I've always enjoyed fiddling around with cables and interconnects to hear the differences in sound. There's also the pride of ownership aspect - I don't mind paying top dollar for a well-made cable that looks as good as it sounds.

Mine are all round the back so I can't see them, and I look on wiring things up as a chore. Hey ho.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Singslinger said:

don't mean to sound rash, but how can you have pride of ownership on a good looking cable nobody, including yourself would see, unless you keep all your equipment back to front? :?
I

If you have to ask...

TrevC

Singslinger said:
cheeseboy said:
Singslinger said:

I

If you have to ask...

Also everyone with a clue would point and laugh.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
TrevC said:

Somebody pointed out and I have to agree that all of TrevC's posts are the same. But in this instance, he demonstrates his level of creativity by inverting his favourite word "clueless". Well done. :clap:

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
TrevC said:
hifikrazy said:
TrevC said:

Somebody pointed out and I have to agree that all of TrevC's posts are the same. But in this instance, he demonstrates his level of creativity by inverting his favourite word "clueless". Well done. :clap:

Yours look quite similar to me.

I could see your retort coming a mile away

Thompsonuxb said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Thompsonuxb said:
than one who will say the cheapo brands is all you need to let your system breath - but thats just me. Its the attention to detail I respect and the fact they 'listen'.

Hi Thompsonuxb

:rofl:

Well let me enlighten you by saying i've currently got a system set up which consists of an Audiolab 8200AP, Plinius Odean, Monitor Audio PL200, PLC150, PL100 and JL Audio Fathom f212 and two E-112's. Cables being used are basic interconnects with standard 79 and 500 strand OFC speaker cables. The system sounds sublime
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

oh c'mon Rick don't be like that,

you have systems I can only dream of owning - but - you do have access to 'better' cables that you can test and compare. Maybe you do, maybe you have and the standard basic cables you have settled on his your preference.

Hi thompsonuxb

Firstly i just want to be clear that it is not a case of bragging rights.

Secondly i don't need to share my preference with you as it's not exactly going to give a richer tone from the till and make the bank balance healthier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts