Smoothest sounding speaker upto £1000?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yep Doug Brady stock MA, just purely to cater for the masses....... Ask ny of the guys in there for there personal preference and I bet MA come last. They stock Neat, Rega all very good musical speakers. Also 6 brands is a lot IMHO

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The MA GX have the ribbon tweeter.

Seems fashion to bash MA. Those that do probably have little experience of the brand. Look at my sig, I have MA, but I also have probably the best 3k speakers you can get.

I haven't heard the GX, but know how good the GS are. WHF loved the GX50 btw.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The Kef LS50 was rather smooth with my tube-amp. It sounded a bit crispier then my Epos's. When i played violin-music it did not sound sharp.

The Epos Epic-2, or Epos-Elan might be a possibility for you.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Yep Doug Brady stock MA, just purely to cater for the masses....... Ask ny of the guys in there for there personal preference and I bet MA come last. They stock Neat, Rega all very good musical speakers. Also 6 brands is a lot IMHO

That is interesting. The store was founded by the father of the guy who runs Monitor Audio....

Anyway, there are places with lots of speakers under one roof. ATC, Monitor Audio, B&W, Neat Acoustics, PMC, Spendor, KEF, Tannoy, Dynaudio, and ProAc. For example.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Anyway, there are places with lots of speakers under one roof. ATC, Monitor Audio, B&W, Neat Acoustics, PMC, Spendor, KEF, Tannoy, Dynaudio, and ProAc. For example.

Well, fancy that! ;)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The trouble is that I have no idea what you mean by "smooth" nor indeed why you would want such a thing. To me a speaker should produce a sound similar to what you would hear in a concert hall. "Smooth" to me is a meaningless word! I want speakers that produce sounds that are similar to instruments I hear in the real world. If you listen to a Prokofiev Symphony in a concert hall the last word you would associate with it is "smooth"; the same thing is true of say Adele - "smooth" what in hell does that mean?

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
The trouble is that I have no idea what you mean by "smooth" nor indeed why you would want such a thing. To me a speaker should produce a sound similar to what you would hear in a concert hall. "Smooth" to me is a meaningless word! I want speakers that produce sounds that are similar to instruments I hear in the real world. If you listen to a Prokofiev Symphony in a concert hall the last word you would associate with it is "smooth"; the same thing is true of say Adele - "smooth" what in hell does that mean?

Chris

Describing sound is very difficult. I've been to my fair share of classical concerts, and never came out of one thinking that the sound was unpleasant and harsh...which is how I find a fair amount of systems are inclined to sound. So smooth might simply be a way of describing "not harsh, bright or unpleasant".

IMO If you lose the emotion in the music, you lose the meaning and purpose of the music, in other words its "raison d'etre."

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:

Chris

well smooth means something to the OP. People are just trying to help out thats all. No drama

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
moon said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

well smooth means something to the OP. People are just trying to help out thats all. No drama

I'm sure it means something to the OP but it doesn't mean anything to me so I can't see how we can help!

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Describing sound is very difficult. I've been to my fair share of classical concerts, and never came out of one thinking that the sound was unpleasant and harsh...which is how I find a fair amount of systems are inclined to sound. So smooth might simply be a way of describing "not harsh, bright or unpleasant".

IMO If you lose the emotion in the music, you lose the meaning and purpose of the music, in other words its "raison d'etre."

This must be right but I'm still not sure what "smooth" means. Real music can often be "harsh" but rarely unpleasant (albeit the suport act at a Madelaine Peyroux concert I went to was fairly unpleasant).

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
This must be right but I'm still not sure what "smooth" means....

Chris

It's as subjective as everything else to do with hifi.

Once you go to a concert that is amplified, you are at the mercy of the amps and speakers being used.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Everyone wants something different. If everyone wanted the same thing, we could get away with keeping one range of loudspeakers... :)

Really? With such profundity I can see why you are in retail! :rofl:

Chris

Just making a point. Most people forget the basics sometimes. They need a little reminder...

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:
This must be right but I'm still not sure what "smooth" means....

Chris

It's as subjective as everything else to do with hifi.

Once you go to a concert that is amplified, you are at the mercy of the amps and speakers being used.

Classical concerts tend not to have amps and speakers!

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Classical concerts tend not to have amps and speakers!

Chris

Exactly the point I'm trying to make....classical concerts are raw and natural, thus giving a great benchmark by which to judge hifi (and it always comes up short).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I can't really speak for anyone else as there aren't many places that will give customers that sort of choice under one roof. I'm sure there are some stores somewhere, but as I say, Google will help them find these few and far between places :)

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I can't really speak for anyone else as there aren't many places that will give customers that sort of choice under one roof. I'm sure there are some stores somewhere, but as I say, Google will help them find these few and far between places :)

You are aware of some dealers/places and yet you don't want to name these dealers/places. Members & Guests go google instead. What a surprise. Not :( I wonder why? ;) :shhh:

I've recommended/mentioned other dealers/places here. Any chance that you're going to name some of these 'not many' dealers/places? Come on and be even nicer :cheer:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, my dealer knowledge is a little lacking at the moment. I can't tell you who does keeep that sort of range, but as I say, it won't be many at all. One point thgough - even if a dealer for all those manufacturers is found, its then a matter of what they have on demo...

It's rare that I would need to recommend another place due to the range we have on offer here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts