Smoothest sounding speaker upto £1000?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am stretching my budget to a grand and want something smooth without brightness.

I rang audioaffair to enquire and Richard there went through some speakers with me and mentioned proac might be the best at that price range. i was initially interested in the Kf LS50 but he said they are still a bit bright as are the R100.

I am thinking of Dynudio but found the DM2/7 a bit bland for the money.

what would you guys demo or recommend to g with Marantz SR7005?

room modest 9ft ceiling; 9ft wide, 14ft long.

I do want to add center at some point and use my BX1s as rears.

A

Anonymous

Dont the Spendors lack in bass? I like to listen in pure direct without a sub for the best stereo sound.

The bass will be lacking compared to the Monitor Audio RX1, right?

keenly said:
Dont the Spendors lack in bass? I like to listen in pure direct without a sub for the best stereo sound.

The bass will be lacking compared to the Monitor Audio RX1, right?

Yes, the bass on the SA-1s are lightweight. Think that PMC DB1is maybe more suited to your taste: Has a lively top-end (not bright) and has thunderous bass for cabinet size.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Spendor and KEF R series will be about as smooth as you'll get under £1,000.

The trouble with finding something as smooth as you can is that you're then in danger of them sounding dull.

A

Anonymous

Yes indeed. I found the QUAD12L classics extremely dull!

I am in Manchester and the hi fi stores here dont have any dynaudio, epos, spendors, pmc etc for me to try.

keenly said:
Yes indeed. I found the QUAD12L classics extremely dull!

I am in Manchester and the hi fi stores here dont have any dynaudio, epos, spendors, pmc etc for me to try.

This is the problem with smooth equipment: As you said it can sound 'bland or dull', so you need a sparky top-end to bring it alive.

If you tell us what brands are available locally, then perhaps we can advise further.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
keenly said:
want something smooth . . .

found the DM2/7 a bit bland for the money.

You want smooth, but don't want bland.... I think you're (at best) treading a fine line, and recommendations may be difficult as everyone will have different interpretations of those two words and where that line is.

Paired with the Marantz, I would second the suggestion of ATC SCM11. FWIW, which is probably not very much (see above).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would look to brands like Sonus Faber, Opera, Dynaudio, Spendor and Harbeth......and as has been suggested, the Kef R Series, which are smoother than previous generation Kefs.

A

Anonymous

In store locally;

Monitor audio which i do not like at all. I have had the BX1s BX2s and RX1s Thus far. GREAT bass on RX 1s but vocals spit at you.

B & w again bright.

Audio T have some Kef in stock but nothing to compare them to other than MA.

Cheaper Wharfedale Diamonds but not the Jade models.

Dali zensors.

The Manc shops have a very poor selection imo. The above is pretty much it! Audio T have lots on their site but not in store. The same with Superfi who have a suberb selection on their site but not in stock at store to listen to.

A

Anonymous

Never hear of half of them and nobody anywhere near me stocks them.

If i could home demo from online shops i would be fine.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. The Kef R series are the class act among that list, and manage to be smooth, yet lively and exciting at the same time....give them a listen and see if you agree.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
How about giving Doug Brady hifi a call, they do actually care about what your looking for, they will let your demo speakers at home. I bought some Neat Motive 3, got them home and they didn't work in my room, rang up John and he genuinely wanted me to have speakers I was completely happy with.... They let me take home some Rega RS1 that's sounded better then the Neats in my room at home.

Spent hours talking to him, he is a genuine hifi enthusiast and not there to make a fast buck.

Imho the only way to demo speakers is at home......I had always written of the Rega RS1 but they a fantastic musical speaker that really work well with the Brio R amp.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
IMO. The Kef R series are the class act among that list, and manage to be smooth, yet lively and exciting at the same time....give them a listen and see if you agree.

Thanks yes i will but i also want to hear the ATCs especially now i have found they do a center to match!

Ideally i would listen to the R100, LS50s and the ATCS SIDE BY SIDE.

I am currently treating my room and i am waiting for some 3 inch rockwool slabs to arrive. I have just ordered a Merlin mains cable and have a Tacima mains conditioner. I thought it would be best to finish the room then listen to speakers(if i could home demo a pair).

A

Anonymous

stevebrock said:
How about giving Doug Brady hifi a call, they do actually care about what your looking for, they will let your demo speakers at home. I bought some Neat Motive 3, got them home and they didn't work in my room, rang up John and he genuinely wanted me to have speakers I was completely happy with.... They let me take home some Rega RS1 that's sounded better then the Neats in my room at home.

Spent hours talking to him, he is a genuine hifi enthusiast and not there to make a fast buck.

Imho the only way to demo speakers is at home......I had always written of the Rega RS1 but they a fantastic musical speaker that really work well with the Brio R amp.

I see they like Monitor Audio :grin:

There's only 6 brands of speakers at Doug Hi fi but they do have the epos which i wouldn't mind hearing. The thing is i want to add a center as some point.

That sort of service is what i am after!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
keenly said:
CnoEvil said:

Thanks yes i will but i also want to hear the ATCs especially now i have found they do a center to match!

I am currently treating my room and i am waiting for some 3 inch rockwool slabs to arrive. I have just ordered a Merlin mains cable and have a Tacima mains conditioner. I thought it would be best to finish the room then listen to speakers(if i could home demo a pair).

Hifi stereo does ATC, give them a call. They're in Sale. ATC C1C or C3C would make an ideal match with some 11s and should pair nicely with the Marantz. You will get the best out of them with a treated room :)

Rick @ Musicraft in Derby could no doubt help you out with ATC as well if you have any difficulties with Hifi stereo.

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
keenly said:
CnoEvil said:

Hifi stereo does ATC, give them a call. They're in Sale. ATC C1C or C3C would make an ideal match with some 11s and should pair nicely with the Marantz. You will get the best out of them with a treated room :)

Rick @ Musicraft in Derby could no doubt help you out with ATC as well if you have any difficulties with Hifi stereo.

cheers. I will ring them tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts