Smoothest sounding speaker upto £1000?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Sorry, my dealer knowledge is a little lacking at the moment. I can't tell you who does keeep that sort of range, but as I say, it won't be many at all. One point thgough - even if a dealer for all those manufacturers is found, its then a matter of what they have on demo...

It's rare that I would need to recommend another place due to the range we have on offer here.

Of course your dealer knoweledge is lacking at the moment :shame: Anyway, knowing the good sport that you are :clap: i hope that you'll 'Google' :type: to confirm ;) and get back with the names of some dealers/places :cheer:

Btw, i take it that you also had to 'google' to know the range of products the shop where you work has to offer :grin:

hoopsontoast said:
MUSICRAFT said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Anyway, there are places with lots of speakers under one roof. ATC, Monitor Audio, B&W, Neat Acoustics, PMC, Spendor, KEF, Tannoy, Dynaudio, and ProAc. For example.

places such as?

:rofl:

Hi hoopsontoast

Google working for you :) but not for your former colleague :?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Of course your dealer knoweledge is lacking at the moment :shame: Anyway, knowing the good sport that you are :clap: i hope that you'll 'Google' :type: to confirm ;) and get back with the names of some dealers/places :cheer:

I'm sorry, I didn't realise I had to know everything about every other dealer's stock in the UK as well as my own. It's enough work to know about everything we have in store as it is, without learning about everyone elses.

Btw, i take it that you also had to 'google' to know the range of products the shop where you work has to offer :grin

No, I didn't, as I'm much too busy helping people who come to me for help.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
stevebrock said:
Yep Doug Brady stock MA, just purely to cater for the masses....... Ask ny of the guys in there for there personal preference and I bet MA come last. They stock Neat, Rega all very good musical speakers. Also 6 brands is a lot IMHO

That is interesting. The store was founded by the father of the guy who runs Monitor Audio....

Anyway, there are places with lots of speakers under one roof. ATC, Monitor Audio, B&W, Neat Acoustics, PMC, Spendor, KEF, Tannoy, Dynaudio, and ProAc. For example.

NOT near me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best selection is at the shop in Sale somebody kindly alluded to.

A

Anonymous

Covenanter said:
The trouble is that I have no idea what you mean by "smooth" nor indeed why you would want such a thing. To me a speaker should produce a sound similar to what you would hear in a concert hall. "Smooth" to me is a meaningless word! I want speakers that produce sounds that are similar to instruments I hear in the real world. If you listen to a Prokofiev Symphony in a concert hall the last word you would associate with it is "smooth"; the same thing is true of say Adele - "smooth" what in hell does that mean?

Chris

wow that was a useless post.

A

Anonymous

richardw42 said:
The MA GX have the ribbon tweeter.

Seems fashion to bash MA. Those that do probably have little experience of the brand. Look at my sig, I have MA, but I also have probably the best 3k speakers you can get.

I haven't heard the GX, but know how good the GS are. WHF loved the GX50 btw.

Have you done a search on here?

The GX is slated for being harsh!

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a lot of experiance with other systems but my Dynaudio 110's are pretty smooth to my ears. But then they are matched with an amp to further the smoothness. Although, 2nd hand is your only option on those really.

I bloody love em I do!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Covenanter,

If you don't mind...may I know what's your current set up is?

Sure Marantz CD6004/PM6004, KEF Q500s, AKG K702, Chord cables

Not sure if that is smooth or not! It sounds good to me listening to mainly classical music.

Chris

A

Anonymous

Covenanter said:
iceman16 said:
Covenanter,

Not sure if that is smooth or not! It sounds good to me listening to mainly classical music.

Chris

When i say smooth i mean mainly on vocals. I want something which doe snot spit at me.

'The wheel in the ssssky keepss on tturning' is what i want to avoid.

iceman16

Covenanter said:
iceman16 said:
Covenanter,

Chris

[/quote

How can you compare your system with live music performance if you don't mind me asking?:)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Covenanter said:
iceman16 said:
Covenanter,

Chris

[/quote

How can you compare your system with live music performance if you don't mind me asking?:)

The same way everybody does I guess, by listening to both.

How do you do it?

Chris

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
MUSICRAFT said:

I'm sorry, I didn't realise I had to know everything about every other dealer's stock in the UK as well as my own. It's enough work to know about everything we have in store as it is, without learning about everyone elses.

Btw, i take it that you also had to 'google' to know the range of products the shop where you work has to offer :grin

No, I didn't, as I'm much too busy helping people who come to me for help.

cheers :cheer: You are more then welcome to know the stock of every other UK dealer however in this instance (as you have a good idea of the numbers) sharing the names of only some/few dealers (particularly useful for those who can't go to you for help) will suffice :)

Btw, is the stock of the shop which you work at yours? because you have also slipped in and referred to the shop which you work at as my shop. My shop, my own stock, my invoices to pay :grin:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Don't you two have each other's phone numbers or email addresses (or a quiet car park somewhere between Derby and Coventry) to sort this stuff out before it spills out into people's threads?

This constant 'needling' looks unprofessional and taints both dealer's reputations.

Mods - Seconded. It is very helpful to have the input of dealers but please refrain from squabbling on the forums. As Chebby points out it does neither of you any favours and creates unwanted tension on the forums.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I too am looking for smooth set and I've heard B&W 684 with Marantz pm 6004:

Only my impressions with my old B&W and B&W 684 in store (rock and Jazz):

Yam AS 500: very open sound , great horizontal image stage, but with too present high freq., for me; bass good only with loudness in, not very ergonomic remote and front commands;

Nad 316: good bass, but not at low volume; medium-high freq. a little bit confuse; very ergonomic and nice.

Marantz 6004: more liquid and natural medium freq.; bass enough, but you can add something at low volume with loudness, not possible with Nad; built like a tank in Japan, with golden input/output, smart and nice remote, that I found can drive my 20 years old CD Philips too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts