Smoother, richer more open sound please - what should I upgrade next?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Fairly old system but have changed cables and interconnect very recently. Current system can sound a bit boxy - dont't/can't play music too loud.

CD: Arcam Alpha 7SE

Amp: Rocksan Kanday KA1 (recent second hand purchase)

Speakers: Heybrook Heylette on Mission stands

Cable: QED Silver anniversary XT bi-wire

Interconnect: Atlas Equator

Room size: approx 3.5m x 4.8m

happy to consider discontinued items

Budget: around £400 - £500

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would be tempted to change the speakers and try to get some AVI Neutron IV or Epos m12.2 if you're looking for standmounters, or perhaps some second hand ProAc Tablette Reference 8 (Signature) or PMC DB1+. Or of floorstanders then some 2nd hand Dali Ikon 6, or even some ex demo Monitor Audio RS6.

plenty of other choices out there too.

I would also be tempted to consider a power amp as your next upgrade after this one.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Smoother is meaning (to me) that the recent purchase has to go! and may be new speakers to replace the good but aging pair of Heybrook.

Meridian 551 amp for around £300 would be a good start for a warm and rich sound. and if you think it sound a bit closed in then have a hunt for a pair of Neat MYSTIQUE (£300 ish) or a pair of ex demo AE AELITE2.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd be tempted to change the Amp to an Arcam Alpha 8 integrated or an Alpha 9 integrated if you can find one at the right price on Ebay

I'd also look at changing the speakers to either B&W 602 S2's or 602 S3's or Monitor Audio BR2's or the RS1's, again, if you can find them at the right price

The Arcam CD player and fellow Alpha integrated amp with give you a good, warm, smooth yet well controlled and refined sound.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Dan out of interest and off subject, where do you have your second system and where is your planned first system going to be installed?[/quote]

Mad i know but my 2nd system is turning out to be my main hifi system as i'm going AV for the next system in the living room and making my Bose Lifestyle 48 redundant!

My hifi (which i'm forever looking @ changing, apart from the CD player and speakers) is in my listening room upstairs where i've got a nicely laid out room with soft furnishings and my sofa bolted to the floor right in front of the sweet spot!

My living room is being re-decorated currently and i'm just waiting for a few things to be sorted before i put my AV speakers in which are B&W 683s for front and B&W 685's for the rears. Still not decided on what centre speaker and sub(s) i'm going for yet. Think i'm going for the new Onkyo AV amp that was mentioned in the What HiFi mag recently!

Im lucky enough that both rooms are perfect rectangles so no issues on placing speakers and CD/Amp combos. The living room is going to have all cables sunk in to the underlay tho!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've just ordered the RS centre speaker and have sold my Jamo front sats. The sound from the RS6s on films even before I've put the centre in place is wow! I then want to get the R90s as rears. Sevenoaks have done me proud (RS6s for £450, RSLCR for £187, they want £182 for pair of R90s). I am happy with my Jamo sub with 200 watts, although I know that a better one would make me happier. Any suggestions for a subwoofer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts