SME Model 15a or Thorens TD550?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
As far as aesthetics goes the SME Model 15a and the Thorens TD550 with Origin Live 12" arm couldn't be further apart. For looks alone I love them both.

Which would you choose?

davidf said:
I always thought the SME decks were a little basic before having seen one in the flesh, set it up, and had a listen. Stunning.

Looks are a matter of taste, sound / build quality usually aren't.... ;-)

Would love a Model 15 to go with my 310 tonearm but unfortunately out of my budget at the moment.

I'd choose the SME any day, not least because of its place in audio history, its exquisite engineering, and it is British made.

The Thorens would go well with a Burmester amp; you'd be forever cleaning off the fingerprints!

nopiano said:
I'd choose the SME any day, not least because of its place in audio history, its exquisite engineering, and it is British made.

The Thorens would go well with a Burmester amp; you'd be forever cleaning off the fingerprints!

Whilst I would agree it would look stunning in a Burmester set-up it is interesting to note that they don't have their own tonearm to go with it so the Model 15 with a SME 310 would be cheaper, and possibly even with a SME IV.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
I always thought the SME decks were a little basic before having seen one in the flesh, set it up, and had a listen. Stunning.

Agreed. The aesthetics are driven by the engineering. Pure and unadulterated, which is why I particularly like the 15. SQ is fabulous too.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:

The Thorens would also go well with my shiny chrome Devialet.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
nopiano said:

Whilst I would agree it would look stunning in a Burmester set-up it is interesting to note that they don't have their own tonearm to go with it so the Model 15 with a SME 310 would be cheaper, and possibly even with a SME IV.

I think the Thorens would look/work well with an Origin Live Conqueror or enterprise arm.

Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
nopiano said:

I think the Thorens would look/work well with an Origin Live Conqueror or enterprise arm.

Most decks would...... might make them a tad expensive though. :)

Ex Illustrious owner....

The Thorens is.... well a Thorens, if you like that sort of thing. It's not a system just a deck. As most suitably desirable players have an integration of some sorts ie cannot say I would plump for the Thorens as it stands, even though I quite like the retro look.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
nopiano said:

Most decks would...... might make them a tad expensive though. :)

Ex Illustrious owner....

The Thorens is.... well a Thorens, if you like that sort of thing. It's not a system just a deck. As most suitably desirable players have an integration of some sorts ie cannot say I would plump for the Thorens as it stands, even though I quite like the retro look.

I'm probably in agreement with you. I too like the Retro looks of the Thorens and its materials exude quality and luxury, but in the end I much prefer the purity of engineering and design of the SME.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd only buy and keep either turntable if they ere under £200.

At, or below, their new price I'd get a Pioneer Exclusive P3a.

Or an EMT 950.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts