Small Standmount Speakers for Naim System

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
Everyone's input was much appreciated and the system has rapidly come together as follows:-

Naim NAC-N 272 Streamer (new)
Naim 150x Power Amp (s/h 2009 - serviced 2020)
Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 Speakers (c. 2008 - salvaged from old system in garage)
Altacama Moseco 6 Stands
Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable (again from old system)

Love the convenience and SQ of streaming Tidal and the streamer was a big improvement on my old Technics CD. Then swapping my old Technics amp for the Naim power amp made for an ever greater jump in SQ, and it's now sounding pretty good to me ears. I'm a fan of the pacey punchy Naim sound and want to maintain it rather than compensate for it.

The system is currently in an average sized double bedroom. It will be moved into a larger living room in the future but the way things are going that could be a while. I'm not looking for an end game system all in one step, preferring to make incremental upgrades and I have no problem with s/h to get best value.

Upgrade plans are:

Short term
1. Rack - looking at a Solid Sounds rack. UK hand built, sensible pricing and works well with Naim.
2. Speakers - as always, this is the tricky one, will come to that later!
3. Cable - Witch Hat Phantom was recommended on here and further reading suggests it's a great match.

Mid term
1. Speakers - upgrade to floor standers, something like Spendor A7
2. Amp - upgrade to something like s/h NAP200/250
3. Power supply - add something like XPSR DR

Long term
1. Amp - upgrade to NAP 250 (DR version)
2. Power supply - 555 PS DR (could be a long wait that one!)

So that's the plan, all input and suggestions welcome.

With regard to the here and now, my thoughts are turning to speakers and I'm looking to compile a list to demo. To begin with speakers will sit on the stands about 6-8" max from rear wall. Ideally I would like them to work well now in the bedroom often at low volumes. But when the time comes to move the system they won't be out of place in a larger room (although not massively so) until funds allow an upgrade. On the shortlist so far I have:

s/h Dynaudio Emit M10 - a little concerned about the rear bass port given positioning
s/h B&W 607 S2 or new 607 series 1

Budget is around £300-£400

Will try and demo, otherwise may look for s/h so the loss isn't great if not to my liking.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

matthewpiano

On the speaker front, the BR2s are good speakers, and I'd suggest waiting longer until you can move up to something from PMC, Focal, Neat, Proac or ATC to get the best out of your system. Yes, Dynaudio Emit 10 would be an step-up from the MAs, but not a huge one. Making lots of small steps can prove more expensive in the long run, and quite frustrating.

Reactions: knaithrover

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks they do sound pretty good now and I don't want to upgrade for the sake of it, The last two upgrades put a massive grin on my face. Food for thought.

And if I stick I can upgrade the floor standers earlier after the move so something to consider for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks they do sound pretty good now and I don't want to upgrade for the sake of it, The last two upgrades put a massive grin on my face. Food for thought.

And if I stick I can upgrade the floor standers earlier after the move so something to consider for sure.
Matthewpiano is right. Probably best to wait.... or you could look at a sealed boxed speaker, such as a Spendor S3.

A little over budget but it does say "Make an Offer", so you could put in a cheeky bid around mid £400.

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation PP. They do look apart from a couple of veneer splits which would bug me however small! Theses speakers are on my radar now though as I see a couple have gone for a little over £300 previously.

rainsoothe

Hi. As I replied on your earlier topic, I'm also in the "save for proper floorstanders" camp. Any upgrade on this budget will most likely be incremental if buying new, and a waste of money if you're not gonna use the speakers in another system. Also, the B&W are rear ported as well, aren't they? So you'll have the same issues you would have with the Dynaudio.

As for the future floorstanders, try to audition before any purchase. Have Acoustic Energy AE 509 and Revel Performa on your list, as well as Harbeth, Spendor, Russell K.

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
Yes you're absolutely right it's my upgraditis again.

I'm feeling more settled now to hear the Br2 are still decent. They certainly sound that way to my ears. The power amp upgrade made a huge difference. Whether that's the amp itself, the pre-amp coming into play on the 272 or a combination of both who knows..

Reactions: matthewpiano

spooks1982

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
If you do look at power supplies, consider a Teddy Pardo one. I had one for my Naim Nait XS2 and it was mega - made a decent difference to the sound quality. There's a lot of chat on pink fish media to suggest they are better than the Naim ones. Teddy has a lot of great scientific documents and research to substantiate his designs and why they are better.

D

Deleted member 116933

as i stated in you last topic wait and save and buy once, something that will make the most of the system.

Revel, PMC, ATC Russel k and so on.

I'd buy the amp though if you see it for a good price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts