Small speakers in the less-sensitive range

Hi.

So I have a bluesound powernode in a rather small living roon (3.5m x 4m) with a high, exposed ceiling (think barn conversion style). I've got it hooked up to a pair of 1980s Celestion Ditton 100 speakers I found in my Dad's garage. They're alright but they're too sensitive and therefore, the quiet, digital amplifier noise made by the powernode is audible in the evenings (the sound is at whisper volumes 2m from the speakers - the furthest I can sit from the speakers! I have pretty good hearing). I'm also not able to turn the amp up and have to run it at 10-15% volume consistently which isn't great.

So I guess what I'm after is a pair of small speakers that aren't very sensitive and aren't too fussy about placement. Chances are these will be stand mounted (or maybe even wall brackets) and very close to the wall - I just don't have the space for anything big or potentially rear ported. I am not averse to a subwoofer though to fill in the lows as I know I'm looking for something which may not reproduce the lows at that size so recommendations that include a sub are considered.

Frustratingly, the powernode doesn't have an optical or line level output so I have to depend on its built in amplifier, otherwise I'd be looking at a seperate amp or active speakers.

So, what do you think? Any suggestions?

Cheers!

What I could find on your old speakers suggests a sensitivity of 86.5, which pretty much average. Most modern designs are similar or more sensitive. The old, and now stupidly overpriced LS3/5a models would be down at 81 ish, and work in confined spaces.

However, I'm more concerned that your new Bluesound device seems to have both background noise and a poor volume control. Are you sure it is working correctly?

Hi.

I'm actually pretty sure it isn't working properly although Bluesound have pretty much given up on me. I dont have an original receipt so they aren't interested unfortunately (usual story with most things).

Thanks for the information on the speakers. I think I need to further investigat the problem with the player then!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts