Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Small and 93db efficient?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Small and 93db efficient?
emotion-2.gif

Yep. And does anyone rate the chinese valve amps found on ebay for £300-ish?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:drummerman:Small and 93db efficient?
emotion-2.gif

Yep. And does anyone rate the chinese valve amps found on ebay for £300-ish?

I've looked into that in detail and have come to the conclusion its not worth it. After you get done with import tax they are often not that cheap. Add a worthless warranty (are you going to send it back and pay again to have it re-delivered) unless you know what you're doing and its a risky undertake. They are also often optimised for chinese grid so electrical failure is a real possibility. People have received faulty amps/tubes too. If you're knowledgeable about tube electronics its another story perhaps.

Icon Audio have just launched a 30w/ch integrated for £500. A much better and safer option imo. Jolida also do one for around that price.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I was'nt aware about the purpose of your initial question Hughes123. Believe me, 25 or 30w Valve Amplifier power goes a long way. I've done that and my Audio Innovations powered a pair of Ruark Sabres (IB) to very very high levels. If you want ultimate loudness you need sensitive speakers as you rightly pointed out but I would say you will play even reasonably efficient stand mounts (86 -87 real deb) to levels which are almost uncomfortable with a valve amplifier of the above rating.

I shut up know and let someone else have a say ...

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
I was'nt aware about the purpose of your initial question Hughes123. Believe me, 25 or 30w Valve Amplifier power goes a long way. I've done that and my Audio Innovations powered a pair of Ruark Sabres (IB) to very very high levels. If you want ultimate loudness you need sensitive speakers as you rightly pointed out but I would say you will play even reasonably efficient stand mounts (86 -87 real deb) to levels which are almost uncomfortable with a valve amplifier of the above rating.

I shut up know and let someone else have a say ...

Yeah sorry, I was a bit vague to say the least! I'm just doing a bit of a spring clean to my electronics at the mo...my Wharfedales are not used at the mo and my Mission E30s are doing a fabulous rendition of Mahler currently - superb speakers for £35 (better than my £650 Wharfeys in many ways!) I'm getting a TV for christmas from my parents for under £800 as a present for my GCSE results (taken three early: A* Biology, A Physics, A* Music) and that's complemented by my JVC A-X5 (because of its muscle and power) with my Wharfeys when it is all set-up with the blu-ray player being my PC.

The reason I want a valve amp, is because my Arcam/Mission system is now used as the "delicate & intricate" system...but the Missions however good are only 85db sensitivity and I feel 20-30watts wouldn't be enough to get them going, but I may be wrong as they won't be playing Van Halen or Metallica - the JVC/Wharfey uber-loud system will be doing that!

Maybe something from the "Affordable Valve Company"?

A

Anonymous

As DM pointed out, be careful over Chinese electronics. If it's not made for the EU then it won't be up to the electrical quality standards. Try explaining that to the Chief Fire Officer and insurance company.

A

Anonymous

Good work on your results too. Keep it up and you can buy yourself some Quad valve mono blocs :)

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Good work on your results too. Keep it up and you can buy yourself some Quad valve mono blocs :)

Quad II-Eighty & some ESL-989s...mmmm....

I want a nice valve fm tuner soon too!

Oh, and I've grown to like the Arcam sound now...it's just so delicate and lovely and smooth now...maybe the amp has just run-in at last (more likely my ears are becoming more mature!)

The A32 is one of the best amps for classical music I have ever heard now - this is not something I would have said a few months ago...far from it infact! That CD73T is superb also and my Missions are splendid!

Infact, I'll tell you something before you all get too bored!(lol!) Last night I took the system downstairs (ARCAM/Mission) and stuck it on an old heavy coffee table (speakers and all!) and put on the SACD of Pink Floyd's DSOTM and I experienced once again the joys of music - something which has not happened for over 9 months! Playing "Us and Them" got my spine tingling!!! I was struck with an urge to close my eyes and enjoy the music in all its glory - I have honestly never experienced anything like it ever! And the best thing of all? I heard what a proper soundstage sounds like! I heard it and it was amazing! The depth, the width, the height it was all there and rendered with huge expansion and precision! Utterly marvellous!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:igglebert:Good work on your results too. Keep it up and you can buy yourself some Quad valve mono blocs :)
Quad II-Eighty & some ESL-989s...mmmm....

I want a nice valve fm tuner soon too!

Oh, and I've grown to like the Arcam sound now...it's just so delicate and lovely and smooth now...maybe the amp has just run-in at last (more likely my ears are becoming more mature!)

The A32 is one of the best amps for classical music I have ever heard now - this is not something I would have said a few months ago...far from it infact! That CD73T is superb also and my Missions are splendid!

Infact, I'll tell you something before you all get too bored!(lol!) Last night I took the system downstairs (ARCAM/Mission) and stuck it on an old heavy coffee table (speakers and all!) and put on the SACD of Pink Floyd's DSOTM and I experienced once again the joys of music - something which has not happened for over 9 months! Playing "Us and Them" got my spine tingling!!! I was struck with an urge to close my eyes and enjoy the music in all its glory - I have honestly never experienced anything like it ever! And the best thing of all? I heard what a proper soundstage sounds like! I heard it and it was amazing! The depth, the width, the height it was all there and rendered with huge expansion and precision! Utterly marvellous!

It's a nice system, and having seen your room pics a few months ago it isn't perfect there. Glad that you moved it to see more of its capabilities.

By the way, get some chicks round and test your biology and music at the same time

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Didn't think the CD73 could do SACD.....tried one in mine and couldn't read it.

A

Anonymous

Gears of Law:Didn't think the CD73 could do SACD.....tried one in mine and couldn't read it.

I've heard lots of people say that - mine does it faultlessly and displays the track information of the disc too! I might upgrade that soon too to a Rega Sataurn or a Meridian or similar.

T

the record spot

Gears of Law:Didn't think the CD73 could do SACD.....tried one in mine and couldn't read it.

It doesn't on the basis that it will play the standard CD layer, but not the SACD layer. Doesn't have the circuitry. I think H-123 is just saying he played it and enjoyed the resulting sounds coming out from the player, not that it was necessarily the SACD layer specifcially.

The CD text will display as the player picks that up. Hi-res though, isn't an option with this particular Arcam alas. Pioneer's £350 player and the Marantz SA-7001 at more or less the same price do feature (stereo only) SACD. You'll see the symbol displayed on both machines on the front panel.

A

Anonymous

I see you've changed your signature there Mr Spot. I think that's the surest sign of a decision one can expect... ;-)

T

the record spot

LOL! Busted!

(Well, it's the current system...it might change next weekend....!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts