Small room HiFi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My main room system (see below) was bought 12 years ago and it still gives me great pleasure. I'm sure there are upgrades I could go for but I think I'd be spending a lot of money for very little improvement. The upgrade can wait until the components start failing.

No, what I need to do is upgrade the system in my office. I work from home and tend to do most of my listening there these days. The office is a typical small bedrom size - I dunno maybe 13 feet by 8 and cluttered with book shelves and a desk.

The system I have in place was bought with price in mind and not sound quality. The amp is a NAD C370 and I *think* that I'm happy with that, if it needs replacing then it will probably be with the current NAD offering (C326BEE ?). The CD player is a low end Philips bought about 5 years ago, not sure of the model but it doesn't matter as I plan to replace it with the NAD C545BEE.

My area of concern is the speakers (currently Eltax monitor III). I plan to spend a decent amount of money (<£500) upgrading these. I already have the RS300 stands and QED Silver Anniv. XT cables on order. So, which speakers to go for ? I don't have a lot of time to go auditioning lots of speakers so I need a shortlist. The first two on the list will be the ones recommended by WHF in their recent one make review i.e. Dali Lektor 2 and EB Acoustcs EB1s. Anybody got opinions on how these would work in a small room ? Is it even worth sending off (and joining the waiting list) for the EB1s only to find them unsuitable for a small room ?

Anybody got any other speaker suggestions for the configuration I have outlined ?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Audiolab 8000CD -> 8000S -> 8000PX -> triwired -> Ruark Crusader II

A

Anonymous

try the sonus faber toys at £515 here http://www.oxfordaudio.co.uk/news97.html

A

Anonymous

The leema Xero speakers are fantastic, and are very small. Get them in the zebera finish and they look great.

A

Anonymous

Hi! Try new Yamaha Piano Craft MCR-640 lovely mini system with iPod connection.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I would second the suggestion for Leema Xero.

I demo'd them with the Sonos ZP120 and they blew everything else I tried out of the water, clarity timing and detail with such a sweet treble. If the Sonos can drive them the NAD would have no problem. Sevenoaks Brighton has some for £399 and thats a bargain if ever I heard one.

Needless to say I am picking mine up Friday!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice, I went for the AVI Neutron V's in the end. They sound fantastic, so much so that I am having difficulty concentrating on work due to picking up lots of new detail in tracks that I have played 100s of times :)

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts