Small (ish) Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

l've tried a few small speakers, with a pc front end & l'm still not content with the outcome.

Looking for a speaker around 30cms in hight, give or take, that's dynamic & detailed.

PC - HRT Musicstreamer DAC - Yamaha A-550 amp.

Budget approx' £200 - £300 new or second hand.

Recommendations sought.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
The Usher S520 speakers are a good choice, just about within your size range and seem to be quite popular with PC based desktop systems. Otherwise you could consider Wharfedale 10.1s which could look very smart on your desktop in black. Both offer stacks of dynamic range and detail.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't want to fall in the trapp of constantly recommending retro hifi but I use both Mordaunt Shorts MS20i Pearls and the smaller MS10i's (with my old Marantz KI) in the bedroom. The latter is very good and I'd say you need to spend in the region of the Ushers to get something equally involving though my knowledge of budget speakers is somehow limited and this is based on listening to speakers of higher value which both MS's compare well to. Sadly, the Mezzo's are just not good enough imo.

A

Anonymous

the dali lektors are pretty good, i didnt like the sound of the meszzo's either. for this you can get a pair of linn kan's second hand. they are dynamic and detailed, just a little bass light :)

Another Usher fan
emotion-21.gif
- one of my fav sub-£500 standmount. Would be worth looking at a s/hand pair of PMC DB1i.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
wayward91:the dali lektors are pretty good, i didnt like the sound of the meszzo's either. for this you can get a pair of linn kan's second hand. they are dynamic and detailed, just a little bass light :)

Agreed - the Lektor 1's or at a push the larger 2's are also superb choices. Very different styling too compared to the Ushers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the response.

Some marks that were already in my mind, along with one or to that weren't.

A

Anonymous

Arcam Alto also can be good. Or maybe some nearfield monitors?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts