Small Bookshelf speakers for bookshelf...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy said:
scene said:
PS-there's a firmware update for the Readynas Duo if you haven't already got the alert.

What firmware update? I haven't had an alert :eek:
The quickest way to do it is through the frontview program

System/Update/Remote tab but here is the info .Supports Lion now.(not that that affects me)

You can also set the alert up in the update section.(from memory)

[/quote]

Thanks rgd - I'll check that later (if I get the chance...)

scene

AEJim said:
Just to chip in, and not intentionally anger the powers that be for breaching any house rules - I'd just like to comment that the Compact 1's were designed very much with wall/shelf/bookcase placement in mind (hence their very small size). Their character changes very little with boundary placement and was a key design criteria.

As you've mentioned though you have a lot of options and I hope you find one that fits your needs, plenty of excellent suggestions have been made! :)

No, I don't think you've breached any rules, as you've clearly identified who you are in your sig and all you've done is highlighted some of the design criteria behind your product that are entirely apposite and relevant.

Thanks for the the information, much appreciated.

scene

Well, I went for the AE Compact-1s in the end. Their size and suitability for placing near a wall made them ideal and the deal that AV Bristol had on made them easy winners. Got full financial controller approval :silenced:
Finally got them set up in the newly enlarged study and giving them a gentle work out. A bit of late night opera, as I don't want to wake the little ones. First impressions: they sound great, really impressed with the stereo image and lovely sound. Need to run them in, as the half-hour's play they've had probably means I'm not doing them full justice yet.
I've missed having my trusty a85 on hifi duties. I was so desperate to get it set up, it's taken me two days to find the chord rumour 2 speaker cables, thank you Mrs Scene for finding them where I had already looked - twice! I'm now sitting among boxes, partly assembled Ikea bookshelves (no doors on) in a folding chair having a bit of an Andy Dufresne moment :grin:

albireo

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to add another suggestion: Dali Ikon 1 MK1. These were front ported and would be excellent in your set-up imho. You'd need to find a used/ex-demo pair though. These were going for ~250 while being phased out and are better speakers than the zensor or lektor in my experience.

scene

albireo said:
I'd like to add another suggestion: Dali Ikon 1 MK1. These were front ported and would be excellent in your set-up imho. You'd need to find a used/ex-demo pair though. These were going for ~250 while being phased out and are better speakers than the zensor or lektor in my experience.

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind if the Compact-1s don't work out. Need to run them in and see how well their diminuitive size handles rock :rockout: :pray:

scene said:
albireo said:

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind if the Compact-1s don't work out. Need to run them in and see how well their diminuitive size handles rock :rockout: :pray:

"handles rock". That reminds me of a Monty Python sketch.

Enjoy the AEs - give'em plenty of time to bed in.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Glad to hear you're enjoying them so far!

The 85's a good amp and the Compacts take power well - don't be afraid to crank the dial! They should work well with rock since that's mainly what we listen to in the office (amongst other, more "Hi-Fi" stuff of course ;) ). From memory we listened mainly to Dire Straights' Sultan's of Swing and Romeo and Juliet when designing them. A little bit of a Hi-Fi cliche really but just so happened to be what we got into at the time. While they don't have thunderous bass, the timing and rhythmic aspects of their sound should be near perfect, which is what you want with rock really!

Every new speaker we tend to find a few tracks and then wear them out in testing, far more useful than having dozens to listen to at that stage, as we're about settled on the design we start trying more material... Just some rather dull inside info there :)

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
AEJim said:

They should work well with rock since that's mainly what we listen to in the office
Paid your fees then?
smiley-wink.gif

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy said:
AEJim said:

They should work well with rock since that's mainly what we listen to in the office
Paid your fees then?
smiley-wink.gif

If they don't work well with rock, I'll be a bit sad (to say the least!)

No, I'm liking what I hear so far, but I'm a little worried about the uber-glossy finish - I feel you should supply white cotton gloves in the box ;)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
AEJim said:

Paid your fees then?
smiley-wink.gif

Oh yes, and I'm sure Mr Knopfler will receive approximately nothing from the PPL people from the £300 annual fee... ;)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
AEJim said:

Paid your fees then?
smiley-wink.gif

If they don't work well with rock, I'll be a bit sad (to say the least!)

No, I'm liking what I hear so far, but I'm a little worried about the uber-glossy finish - I feel you should supply white cotton gloves in the box ;)

They're pretty durable, a little wipe with a damp cloth should keep 'em tidy. Have white in the works, that may be trickier to look after!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts