Small Bookshelf speakers for bookshelf...

scene

So my extension work proceeds apace and I find my fingers twitching to get some speakers to accompany my lonely A85 in my soon to be extended office. The room will end up 2.8m x 3.9m - so not exactly huge and what with the desk, shelves, cupboards, etc. there's going to be no room for speaker stands. So I need a small pair of speakers to go on the book shelves.

Also, my account runneth dry, so maximum budget is probably £300 (ish). I've asked this before - and back then I was leaning towards MA BX2 - but not convinced on their ability to be placed near a wall, maybe BR2 would be better and then I was steered towards AVI Neutrons (Secondhand Vs or IVs maybe)... but now time has moved on and I might actually get OH approval on spend... Should I be looking at something new, like the Dali Zensor 1?

scene said:
So my extension work proceeds apace and I find my fingers twitching to get some speakers to accompany my lonely A85 in my soon to be extended office. The room will end up 2.8m x 3.9m - so not exactly huge and what with the desk, shelves, cupboards, etc. there's going to be no room for speaker stands. So I need a small pair of speakers to go on the book shelves.

Also, my account runneth dry, so maximum budget is probably £300 (ish). I've asked this before - and back then I was leaning towards MA BX2 - but not convinced on their ability to be placed near a wall, maybe BR2 would be better and then I was steered towards AVI Neutrons (Secondhand Vs or IVs maybe)... but now time has moved on and I might actually get OH approval on spend... Should I be looking at something new, like the Dali Zensor 1?

Many on here, as you know, recommend Rega RS1. Chebby once commented they sounded terrific with Arcam, although referred to the Solo mini.

Or maybe: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monitor-Audio-RS1-Main-Stereo-Speakers-colour-rosenut-/220849431447?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item336ba6e397

Or even: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Xero-Monitor-Loudspeakers-Light-Oak-Zebrano-/270814655628?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3f0dcfb48c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RS1-Speakers-/200651687237?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2eb7c5c545

scene said:
Thanks for that pp. All very interesting. :) Question is, how are they with their backs to the wall?

I know Chebby has his Regas on wall brackets. The MAs are flexible, mainly because of relative light bass, and I've been told by Sevenoaks that Leemas can be pretty much be anchored. TBF, I don't think any speaker, however small, will perform as well as with space, unless you go for dedicated wall speakers, such as a model from Spendor (can't remember the model no.)

scene

I know, most speakers need space to breathe in and perform at their best. But I'm sure I'm not alone in having to compromise on positioning in a small room that is not a dedicated listening room. I know, I could stick to headphones, which I enjoy - but I need to be able to hear what else is happening sometimes when working in the office - kids, etc.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got the BX2s and enjoy them. They're front ported so I can't imagine you'll have too much difficulty there. They are fairly deep though...

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I heard the AE Compact in Bristol in a room slightly bigger and was very impressed.Why spend £300 when you can keep £150 more for house warming champagne.:cheers:

PS-there's a firmware update for the Readynas Duo if you haven't already got the alert.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
scene said:
Thanks for that pp. All very interesting. :) Question is, how are they with their backs to the wall?

I know Chebby has his Regas on wall brackets. The MAs are flexible, mainly because of relative light bass, and I've been told by Sevenoaks that Leemas can be pretty much be anchored. TBF, I don't think any speaker, however small, will perform as well as with space, unless you go for dedicated wall speakers, such as a model from Spendor (can't remember the model no.)

Chebby has R3 floorstanders.

I do think the RS1s are worth a try though, as are the BX2s which should work pretty well in that situation due to their tight sound and front porting.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For something a little different maybe Audio Note AX-1 or possibly Usher S-520 available here:
http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_speakers1.html. They are a bit over budget, but I think the AN are designed to be against the wall (the rest of their range is anyway).

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy said:
I heard the AE Compact in Bristol in a room slightly bigger and was very impressed.Why spend £300 when you can keep £150 more for house warming champagne.:cheers:

PS-there's a firmware update for the Readynas Duo if you haven't already got the alert.

Yes, saving £150 would be good, so will have to add them to the growing shortlist...

Though £150 would probably end up going on kit, a new sub maybe... >)

scene

CnoEvil said:
For something a little different maybe Audio Note AX-1 or possibly Usher S-520 available here: http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_speakers1.html. They are a bit over budget, but I think the AN are designed to be against the wall (the rest of their range is anyway).

Definitely a couple to add to the now long list ;)

like the look of both of those, will have to investigate further....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
scene said:
CnoEvil said:
For something a little different maybe Audio Note AX-1 or possibly Usher S-520 available here: http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_speakers1.html. They are a bit over budget, but I think the AN are designed to be against the wall (the rest of their range is anyway).

Unlike almost every other brand, Audio Note's speakers are designed to go against walls, and preferably in corners. They are usually very easy to drive, as they have been designed to work with their "piddley powered" SET amps.

A

Anonymous

You might be able to find a pair of Dali Concept 1 or 2's. I owned the 1's and they're small, front ported and designed to go on bookshelves. They're very enjoyable speakers and can be bought cheaply. Good luck with the search!

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy said:
Personally I don't think the RX1 will work- and you are welcome to try mine in situ if you can't get a home demo.They are quite Count (Basie)

Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Yes, I did worry a little about that and the room is quite small, combined with the proximity of the wall...

scene

CnoEvil said:
scene said:
CnoEvil said:

Unlike almost every other brand, Audio Note's speakers are designed to go against walls, and preferably in corners. They are usually very easy to drive, as they have been designed to work with their "piddley powered" SET amps.

That's very interesting. Going to have to see if I can track down some to demo...

scene

matthewpiano said:
Dali Lektor 2s are well worth a try. Gorgeous sounding speakers.

Did wonder about the Lektors, but for some reason I'd thought they wouldn work for me. Hang on...

Oh yes, seem to remember they're richer in the mid-range, which favours music over vocals and I thought they might sit comfortably with my A85 that has similar tendencies - though I'm not discounting them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
scene said:
CnoEvil said:

That's very interesting. Going to have to see if I can track down some to demo...

If you want any info about these speakers (including getting hold of one to demo), try contacting Martin Grennall (Audio Note): martin.grennall@audionote.co.uk I have dealt with him in the past and he couldn't have been more helpful.....a top bloke.

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy said:

What firmware update? I haven't had an alert :eek:

scene

So I now have a pretty long shortlist:

Monitor Audio: RS1 and BX2 (maybe BR1)
AVI: Neutron Vs and IVs
Dali: Zensor 1, Lektor 2, Concept 1 and Concept 2
Rega: RS1
Leema: Xero
AE: Compact
Audionote: AX-1
Usher: S-520

Phew. Of the above, the RS1, BX2 and Ushers have all had a couple of votes.

This could be interesting.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Just to chip in, and not intentionally anger the powers that be for breaching any house rules - I'd just like to comment that the Compact 1's were designed very much with wall/shelf/bookcase placement in mind (hence their very small size). Their character changes very little with boundary placement and was a key design criteria.

As you've mentioned though you have a lot of options and I hope you find one that fits your needs, plenty of excellent suggestions have been made! :)

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
scene said:

What firmware update? I haven't had an alert :eek:

[/quote]The quickest way to do it is through the frontview program

System/Update/Remote tab but here is the info .Supports Lion now.(not that that affects me)

You can also set the alert up in the update section.(from memory)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts