Small Bookshelf due to size restriction - MA Gold 50?

walvis

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I am currently running a setup where I drive two pairs of Monitor Audio BX2 speakers (and a corresponding subwoofer) using a Yamaha amp. Due to aesthetic reasons (no point to argue as it has been an executive order from the wife...) I have to downgrade to speakers who have a maximium height of 33cm and 8 ohm (amp requirement for driving two pairs in A/B mode). I am aware that this might mean a compromise given the smaller form factor but stumbled across the Gold 50 which would fit with a height of 30cm. Reviews on this site recommend a placement position which would fit my room setup rather well. My only concern is that the smaller speakers do not prodcue enough mid and bass authority to fill the rather large room (essentially an open space combination of two rooms - hence the need for two pairs). While the sub covers one part of the room, the other mainly relies on the speakers capability to produce enough deep end.

Therefore my question: are there any well known/tested alternatives that fit the <30cm height and 8 ohm requirements and are still suited to produce enough volume/deep end to fill (large) mid sized rooms?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll be seriously limiting yourself sticking to such a short height loudspeaker, although you could look at models that use coincident drivers. KEF's R300 speakers are 21cm wide, but lay them on their side and they will fit your requirements easily. Whilst the driver layout changes, it is only the bass driver of the three-way design that will shift - everyone from 500Hz upwards comes from a single point - the UniQ array incorporating HF unit and midrange driver. Basically, they will sound the same on their side as they do standing upright.

This approach isn't limiting you either, as you get a three-way speaker with a 6.5" bass driver - more than enough to fill medium rooms and larger. I don't know which Yamah amp you have, so can't say how well it'll cope with the KEFs.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I am sure you have looked at all alternatives before posting but the bx2 are 35cm high and you need them to be 33cm or less. Could you modify shelving/speaker stands/ positioning slightly to get your needs filled as its only 2cm?

If not maybe these would fit the bill

http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

Edit- I see the speakers mentioned are quite and upgrade in price, I read downgrade wrong , just size downgrade, I imagine my suggestion is of little use

insider9

What's the reason you're so restricted? Is it because they'll be place on a shelf? If so how much room to breathe (back, sides) will they have? It's important to know as even the best speakers when used incorrectly will not satisfy.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Last year I was looking at small speakers and compiled a list. As I only looked at size, I haven't always noted the impedance. Furthermore some may be outside your budget (which you didn't state). I'll just copy the info I have, without bothering to tidy it up. My impression is that it is difficult to meet both the size and the impedance requirement; as the size is imperative I would advice you to improve on the amplifier.
· Amphion Helium 410: 132x259x220

· 15,4 cm: Minx 22: 120 Hz, 88 dB, HWD 154 x 78 x 85mm

· 23 cm: Dali Zensor Pico: 62 Hz, 84 dB, 6 Ohm, HWD 230 x 141 x 196 mm

· 26 cm: Q Acoustics 3020: 64Hz, 88 dB, 260 x 226 x 170

· 28,5 cm: Quad S-1: 58 Hz, 84 dB, 285 x 156 x (240 + 30) mm

· 30,6 cm: Harbeth P3ESR: 306 x 190 x 184 mm, 75 Hz, 83,5 dB, 6 Ohm

· 30 cm: Audionote AX-One

· Quad 9L2

· Proac Anniversary Tablette: 270x150x235 (hwd)

· PSB Alpha B1: 299x178x247

· 27,4 cm Totem Mite: 50 Hz, 87 dB, 15.24 x 27.43 x 21.34 cm

· Possibly also the Elac Debut.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Neat IOTA. They like being near a wall are ridiculously small but sound a million dollars. Simply superd. Okay not cheap but £450 second hand. Brilliant.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
My lounge is 13 feet square and there is more than enough output for the room. Have you tried them? I have in the same room and no problem at all. Small speakers do not mean small sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts