Sleeper Hifi

This is the problem. If you search the internet and put any description it will come up with something.

If I was to put in Leema Condom, it will flash up something with a image.

A few years ago this bloke in our village said, "I've found a Alfa Romeo 158, looks great value...." when I told him Alfa never produced a 158, he wouldn't accept it. Only when I showed him the image of a 159, replacement for the 156 (my current car), that he bowed down.

There are countless cheap hi-fi components, but are they any good?

They are cheap for a reason.

Reactions: Al ears
There are probably a few brands that lack wide publicity or the recognition they deserve. And others that are good but aren’t cool or fancied.

I would suggest that Exposure is a brand that is under-appreciated, except by those who know it. The converse applies to Naim, and students of 1970s Hifi will recall these two once looked quite similar.

Reactions: doifeellucky

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
A “Sleeper” is more of a pc and car thing. Something that looks like one thing but is another entirely.
for example a pc might look like a time or tiny pc from the 90s but inside a mondern gaming rig thats normal extremely capable.

With hifi that doesn’t really exist in the way you’re thinking. The closest thing I suppose is the just recently released is the Nad c3050 le. Looks like something it’s not.

treesey

A “Sleeper” is more of a pc and car thing. Something that looks like one thing but is another entirely.
for example a pc might look like a time or tiny pc from the 90s but inside a mondern gaming rig thats normal extremely capable.

With hifi that doesn’t really exist in the way you’re thinking. The closest thing I suppose is the just recently released is the Nad c3050 le. Looks like something it’s not.

oh you mean like a Q-ship?

Dom

I meant when it was reviewed it didn't sound great and stuff but then sometime later it did sound great like there's some conpiracy maybe higher governmental mystery.

Last edited:
Oh. Well, I meant when it was reviewed it didn't sound great but then sometime later it did sound great. Like there's some mystery stuff. Maybe higher governmental conspiracy stuff and men in black suits and stuff, with Lazer weapons, shootin What Hifi and stuff. :ROFLMAO:

How about the Garrard 401 turntable?

In the 1970s it cost about £35 and they could hardly give them away. Now folk pay £’000s and they are revered.

Back in the day they seemed to hum and rumble, but I suspect the typical choice of plinth, low-mass arms and high compliance cartridges didn’t suit ideally.

Reactions: jjbomber
There are probably a few brands that lack wide publicity or the recognition they deserve. And others that are good but aren’t cool or fancied.

I would suggest that Exposure is a brand that is under-appreciated, except by those who know it. The converse applies to Naim, and students of 1970s Hifi will recall these two once looked quite similar.
I can certainly vouch for Exposure. Probably one of the best VFM players I've heard, most definitely the best player I've owned.

Mind you, my whole system isn't the most popular on forum members. Do I care? Nope.

Reactions: doifeellucky

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
How about the Garrard 401 turntable?

In the 1970s it cost about £35 and they could hardly give them away. Now folk pay £’000s and they are revered.

Back in the day they seemed to hum and rumble, but I suspect the typical choice of plinth, low-mass arms and high compliance cartridges didn’t suit ideally.

Speaking of Garrard.
checkout this 301.....

View: https://youtu.be/vKFQ8B4cx64

Dom

This is the "giant killer" term that's chucked around with abandon. The last one I heard of was ascribed to the Onkyo 7030 CD player. That was apparently a very well regarded and decent performer.
The term sleeper existed back then, but this has always been the case though. Technology has always been about performance vs money. There is literature about this concept of getting serous dough for less work.

Last edited:
The term sleeper existed back then, but this has always been the case though. Technology has always been about performance vs money. There is literature about this concept of getting serous dough for less work.
I think we need another look at how we are using the term "sleeper" .
Does it have anything to do with cost of device?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom

Dom

I'm not sure if there is any meaning, I see the word bandied-about and wondered if it applied to Hifi. I'm sure I saw a video thumb nail about sleeper Hifi on my YouTube feed, though I didn't watch it.

Last edited:

iMark

I would argue that the Apple Airport Express is a similar thing as Chromecast Audio. Very happy that I bought one second hand after they'd gone out of production. Still a great way to add Airplay to existing audio equipment. There's even a firmware update to Airplay 2 available.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts