Sky+ through onkyo?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've tryed to put the picture signal from my Sky+ through my onkyo 605 but i continue to fail. I'm fed up of having to switch between t.v. inputs(scart-hdmi) when i shouldn't have to. I purchased a 'scart to component' cable and tryed it that way but the onkyo was having none of it. I know how to set the inputs up on the onkyo because i've set up my other a/v equipment sucessfully. Are there any settings that i need to change at either end or is this not possible to do at all??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Trouble is, the Scart to component cable is only a Scart to component cable if the thing at the Scart end can output component video via its Scart socket. And the Sky+ box doesn't - it can output S-video or RGB, which is different from component.

The Onkyo is expecting component interlaced YCbCr or progressive YPbPr at its component inputs, not RGB, which it can't handl, so there's the problem.

The answer is a) to output S-video into the Onkyo, which it can then upconvert and punt out through the HDMI terminal, b) connect from the Sky+ box straight to the TV, or c) invest in Sky HD, which will output component video, either on component terminals or HDMI.

My choice would be b), unless you want to fork out £299 for the HD box and and extra tenner a month. I do the Hd thing here at home, but then that's really your call...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for clearing that up, it looks like i'm stuck with things how they are for the time being, is the Sky HD really worth it? and does it upscale SD content well? I've always been weary about the signal strength, mine is always around about 3/4, would it have to be full strength to get the most from HD?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jerry16"]

is the Sky HD really worth it?

[/quote]

Yes, definitely

[quote user="jerry16"]

and does
it upscale SD content well?

[/quote]

Yes

[quote user="jerry16"]

iI've always been weary about the signal
strength, mine is always around about 3/4, would it have to be full
strength to get the most from HD?

[/quote]

Just switched my Sky HD on and checked, and the levels are about the same. It'll be fine.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

Does this all still apply following the launch of the Onyko 606 or are there other options now available?

Thanks,

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
If you already have Sky subsciptions (particularly movies) then the upgrade is definately worth it. It is the cheapest and most plentiful supply of HD material. The cost of the box is on a par with a blu ray player, and it has the Sky+ recording abilities. The extra £10 per month then gives you access to 24 hour HD content, where as a blu ray disc will cost anywhere between £15 - £30 each. ( of course this may all change as of tomorow)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts