flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
this is a joke they want you to buy Sky Glass now it appears they have replaced it ( certainly Sky Q now) from 19th October . You have to laugh at this ! But we all knew that the dish is on its way out (as more Raku tvs are available now)
The whole thing is a mess now !
I have Sky Q as most of you know i have two PLASMA s here. So what next ,does look like a Raku Tv and looks like the 2022 Hisense 55 is the favourite to buy now .
Sky has always had a problem of the dish (it is ugly and many rented properties owners not happy to have them on there walls . I am paying about £100 for my Sky ( includes netflix but no movies or sports on Sky Q ) . What sky has done is a complete con , and they should be ashamed of themselves ,for this .
So what next ?
Sky was taken over a while back buy the worlds biggest cable operator and now we are all feeling the pinch of money grabbing company . This i believe will make many thousands go with FREESAT now .

What does the Forum think ????

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
see my problem is i have to have it for a number of reasons FORMULA ONE and those Sky channels that are not on FREESAT . we also spend (wife) 18 hours a day watching TV SKY. I have Amazon and Netflix but not Sky on my TV in bedroom plus it includes Fibre cable internet

Gray

I installed my own dish years ago, then gave a relative £50 - which paid for a 3 month subscription.....and allowed them to keep the box and viewing card (for all free channels).
They gave them to me - which I used for (free) Solar Radio, then only available on Sky.

The thought of paying Sky £100 per month is unthinkable to me (but then, thankfully, I'm not a sport, film or 'entertainment' fan).

Freeview / Freesat for me.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
More rambling, incoherent nonsense...

Sky Stream isn't a replacement for either Glass nor Sky Q!
actually it will be a replacement for the Dish completely Sky said they intend to replace the dish (they simply not said when ) After Sky signed there latest contract with Astra for X years , They officially mentioned that they will continue , until they are ready for total replacement of the "dish" See the problem this contract costing them a fortune and profits are down now (COVID 19 and now inflation) . Experts in the entertainment industry ,said that it be under 3 years and as early as the end of 2023. The fact a US company has bought the whole sky package of companies (Sky italy and premier Germany ) . The dish is finished and do not be surprise that they stop new installs of dishes in 2023 . What will happen to that contract with Astra . simple they will rent out those satellites they have rented from Astra , to other users . Sky Q will be around through 2023 , but glass is basically Sky stream anyway ( just they give you a TV ( poor one at that) on the contract. Nonsense no incoherent i think not. Perhaps you been on another planet all this time . It is all about "costs" cheaper to have Sky Stream than Sky Q and a dish . Also the fact every TV now on the market for the last 5 years or so ,is suitable for direct downloads online . The parentcompnay is losing money hand over fist.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
My brother pays £120 - includes broadband but I' m pretty sure that's only standard speed.
Football is why he pays - yet he still pays a fortune going to matches as well🤪
we paying about the same with fast fiber optic ( rural) of 75 download and 18 upload just Formula one and "Q" Okay not as fast as most people but okay . Unlike most tax payers . we do not have holidays ( not since 2005) and my wife never had a passport either. ( difficult to take a cat on holiday is it not, as we take in rescue cats , normally only 2 ) also do not smoke ever or drink or anything illegal so we spend a lot of time watching tv ( wife an average 17 hours a day ) we both over 60 . I spend around 4 hours a day ,watching netflix and Amazon prime (bedroom tv) Tis means we watching TV either together or on our own 21 hours a day in total . and times that 7 times a week, . Being a pensioner have a lower than average income , than probably any of the forum here

daveh75

actually it will be a replacement for the Dish completely Sky said they intend to replace the dish (they simply not said when ) After Sky signed there latest contract with Astra for X years , They officially mentioned that they will continue , until they are ready for total replacement of the "dish" See the problem this contract costing them a fortune and profits are down now (COVID 19 and now inflation) . Experts in the entertainment industry ,said that it be under 3 years and as early as the end of 2023.

Glass/Stream isn't it though. Its a product designed to capture a certain market, that market being those that can't have/don't want a dish.

Sky's contract with Astra currently runs until 2028, and they will keep delivering content over satellite (alongside their IP based platforms) as long as there is a significant customer base on said satellite platform.

The fact a US company has bought the whole sky package of companies (Sky italy and premier Germany )

Comcast acquired Sky to both diversify their business, because the cable TV user base continues to decline (they still have a significant broadband business) in the US, and for their technology.

They view Europe as a growth area (Specifically, Italy and Germany, because Sky UKs customer base peaked a few years ago but still significant @ around 8m)

The dish is finished and do not be surprise that they stop new installs of dishes in 2023 . What will happen to that contract with Astra . simple they will rent out those satellites they have rented from Astra , to other users . Sky Q will be around through 2023

Who are they going to lease all their capacity to if the dish is finished? :rolleyes:

, but glass is basically Sky stream anyway ( just they give you a TV ( poor one at that) on the contract.

You don't say. That's entirely the point of Stream, i.e it's Glass for those that don't need the TV.

Nonsense no incoherent i think not. Perhaps you been on another planet all this time . It is all about "costs" cheaper to have Sky Stream than Sky Q and a dish . Also the fact every TV now on the market for the last 5 years or so ,is suitable for direct downloads online .

Nothing like posting another incoherent rant to try to prove a point.

I worked in the industry, running my own successful business for 20 years (until I sold it) just so you know....

The parentcompnay is losing money hand over fist.

I'd suggest you go look up their financial reports...

Last edited:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
My brother pays £120 - includes broadband but I' m pretty sure that's only standard speed.
Football is why he pays - yet he still pays a fortune going to matches as well🤪
that a lot of money standard ( so-called) broadband is around 20 download. this is very poor and only just good enough to download sky films but not good enough to use Netflix and Amazon this needs in my view 40 plus ideal is around 70 download speed. ie fiber optic . Anyone deciding to use Sky Stream must have at least 70 as a minimum now (upoad at least 18 ) . Fortune yes watch Sky sports and not pay maybe £2000 to watch there team play ( parking and travel )

Reactions: Gray

daveh75

that a lot of money standard ( so-called) broadband is around 20 download. this is very poor and only just good enough to download sky films but not good enough to use Netflix and Amazon this needs in my view 40 plus ideal is around 70 download speed. ie fiber optic . Anyone deciding to use Sky Stream must have at least 70 as a minimum now (upoad at least 18 ) .

Sigh!

UHD streams only require about 25Mbps max, and a average ADSL connection can handle streaming in HD no problem

Reactions: Freddy

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Not far down the road from me.
I was very surprised they contacting anyone that fast . considering they pushing the Sky Glass thing on TV. (which in my view is a own goal for Sky "very poorly thought out" ) When Sky Glass was introduced by Sky with huge fanfare to the public in October i think it was. They hinted then there be a "no dish " system to replace the dish as some point . So why bother with Sky Glass in the first place ? Could they not simply introduce this system then ? probably yes/ But i gather they already signed a deal for the "Phillips TVs" anyway . ( note new owners of Sky ) What is more odd they signed another contract with ASTRA yet already had decided to introduce the no dish system ( Amazon Prime Netflix and Disney etc on broadband only) . The question is why they bothered to sign an extension ,when they knew that the Dish had to go. Answer is simple they will lease off the satellite to other users ( note Sky Italy and Germany will go the same way ). The future ? will be satellite phones/internet system adding to the already TV system . So the satellite is not dead , just dead as a TV system (UK) 5G like 4G is full of holes and so will the incoming 6 G . Satellites will replace it as a mobile phone system unless theycan get the system to run underground ( oh like BT have done with there phone system for the past 100 years )

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
d
I get less.
well our total income every year is £15k my wife 60 not worked in 20 years and does not have any income at all . me on pensions i am 70 and do not work full time since a serious motorcycle accident and being sacked in 2005 And not worked at all in ten years . And still have to pay for rent poll tax etc etc. Yet able to afford to live ( oh yes no holidays abroad since 1989 and no holiday anywhere at all in ten years . That is how i manage to afford SKY. And do not ever smoked or drink or drugs and no parties and still manage to run a 19 years old Nissan XTRAIL so someone must be spending on other things that is there right . And not for me to tell anyone not to buy that 70 inch QLED they always wanted . and a valve amp costing £2k or more . It is a matter for them

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
d
well our total income every year is £15k my wife 60 not worked in 20 years and does not have any income at all . me on pensions i am 70 and do not work full time since a serious motorcycle accident and being sacked in 2005 And not worked at all in ten years . And still have to pay for rent poll tax etc etc. Yet able to afford to live ( oh yes no holidays abroad since 1989 and no holiday anywhere at all in ten years . That is how i manage to afford SKY. And do not ever smoked or drink or drugs and no parties and still manage to run a 19 years old Nissan XTRAIL so someone must be spending on other things that is there right . And not for me to tell anyone not to buy that 70 inch QLED they always wanted . and a valve amp costing £2k or more . It is a matter for them
Congrats on your pension inflation rate jump. Greatly deserved too. (y)

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Congrats on your pension inflation rate jump. Greatly deserved too. (y)
es well anyway should be getting my new TCL Tv £260 50 inch all the way from China i am sorry to say. At least Pioneer was made here and Panasonic was from Hungary . decided not to buy anything from Hungary from now as they support "Putin" . Wife just received this £66 electric payment today .WOW ! i am in the money now .

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
es well anyway should be getting my new TCL Tv £260 50 inch all the way from China i am sorry to say. At least Pioneer was made here and Panasonic was from Hungary . decided not to buy anything from Hungary from now as they support "Putin" . Wife just received this £66 electric payment today .WOW ! i am in the money now .
Nice one! Really pleased for you. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts