Sky recorded programs to hard drive

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Sky has the option to copy a recorded programme onto a DVD recorder.

Can anyone advice if it is possible to copy a recorded program onto a device such as an HTPC, WD TV Live Hub or similar?

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Did not think it possible. WDTV would be coool. I await ideas ......

I didn't think it would be possible either but I could not help but think that if it works with a DVD recorder that it might just work with the likes of WDTV.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know, what the Sky box records is the transport stream coming down from the satellite, not the signal decoded into a TV signal, ot thereabouts, which is why what is stored on the hard drive is encrypted and can't be copied straight to a computer drive. It needs to be decoded by the Sky box at time of playback - which is why if, for example, you end your subscription you can no longer access the recordings on your box.

But you should be able to record out to a computer if you have a video/sound card on that computer able to take in the output from the sky box, and re-encode it into a format the computer can store and play.

However, I have a feeling you can only copy out at relatively low quality to a video recorder or such a video card – standard definition and with stereo sound, I think – and you will have to do the copy in real time, as you do with a video recorder.

daveh75

Its possible but not worth the time, effort or expense, especially if you want decent (HD) pq.

Since it would involve using HDMI out, which would require stripping the HDCP out/converting to component using something like an HDFury, then a component capture card, hooked to a reasonably well spec'd PC to handle the transcoding and would all have to be done in real time.

TRENDING THREADS